Desolation Of Eden review by Chelsea Grin

• Released: Feb 16, 2010
Chelsea Grin: Desolation Of Eden

Chelsea Grin's debut album, Desolation of Eden has been highly anticipated for months. Desolation of Eden features a mix of mellow melodies and smashing rhythms to bring hope for the next decade in deathcore. The album starts off heavy with Judgement, which pretty much gives away most of what the rest of the album will feature. The song has intricate rhythms and simple leads that really catch the ear of any listener. There are some good riffs on the album as well, especially within the song, Sonnet of the Wretched, which has very melodic feel to it. Although a lot of chords and palm muting, there are some good leads thrown into songs, such as The Human Condition, which has some great and challenging arpeggios. The leads are eerie and slow, not too complex to confuse the listener. What really gives this album a different sound is the more relaxed tempos used than your average deathcore band. Compared to the likes of Duck Duck Goose, or even The Red Shore, the tempo is slower and more soothing to the ear. Don't be fooled though, the drums are as complicating as any other deathcore band, but the mix works beautiful, quick drums and melodic guitars. The mix of the album is better than expected for a debut album, overall a good sound.

The vocals on the album are cheesy at times, sounding much like many other deathcore bands. The growls are hit perfectly, the high pitched screams are muffled and weak at times, and the squeals are ridiculously accurate. The squeals can even hinder or help a song. The squeals accurately sound like someone being slaughtered, which is probably what the whole feel of the album was generated towards. The vocals overall are decent, boring at times, but it's all been done before and you can't get past that. Good job.

Desolation of Eden is but a hope for what is to be coming next from Chelsea Grin. The band is going to completely take over the deathcore scene in a couple of years, as the light only shines brighter. Mixing old thrash influences with present day deathcore to bring a soothing and relaxing album. The best thing about the album is the song Elysium, which is an all out instrumental that breaks away from the chords and has more leads and solos. It is played out perfectly, and makes you wonder if they can create more solos and songs like this in the future, which if they can, they will take over the metal scene. Overall a must have album for deathcore fans, and a new album to try out for metal fans alike. Elysium makes this album worth it, Desolation of Eden will just be the first success of Chelsea Grin, and I am excited for what is to come.

Shredder Guitar
    Unskathed wrote: I read reviews for deathcore albums because I'm always hoping these crappy bands will finally wise-up and start bringing back the good deathcore sound that Glass Casket, Animosity, and The Red Chord are/were doing.
    Animosity and The Red Chord are amazing. You have a point good sir.
    Unskathed
    death_unknown
    This band is the shit, by the shit i mean ass burning diarrhea, which isn't good at all. And their name is shitty. And their a bunch of scene bitches, which is a shitty way to be. RATING: Shitty
    Moonspine
    ^ that one. Except death core doesn't have a good name to boot. But seriously, I'm sick of these guys being the focal center of my cities scene. Why must Salt Lake be polluted with such shitty core bands and only a handful of quality metal acts? I blame the mormons.
    STDeathStorm
    honestly they aren't that good,its not that hard to breakdown,sweep and pig squeal.Their quality for musicianship overall sucks and gives a bad name to death-core genre.
    ScorianVaseras
    @nobrightskys, did you just say that Lamb of God was watered down? Please proceed to get the **** out. At least Chris Adler can drum, and at least Randy has an original vocal technique.
    Disturbed_EMG
    "The best thing about the album is the song Elysium" The ONLY good thing about the album is the song Elysium. Fixed.
    dementiacaptain
    nobrightskys wrote: Here Comes the Kraken - Oceano - Underneath the Gun - Rose Funeral - ANIMA - Whitechaple. All amazing bands. I have a hard time understanding why people prefer there metal watered down to a "Safer, less scary" form of metal? I guess if listening to Lamb of God and Kiss lets you sleep without nightmares....more power to you.
    great bands.
    nobrightskys
    nobrightskys
    I thnk guud Bands R like Coldplay and YOU2 Trolls die a thousend deaths, ****ing cowards!
    TurboCracka
    EpiExplorer wrote: Go cry about your bands somewhere else. I do it partly because someone needs to see the bad side of everything of a story (or in this case, review), and no one on here does that.
    Negro please, more than half the people on this site do exactly that. Personally I hate deathcore but I don't feel the urge to come on here and bash bands I'll never listen to.
    Sam Wotrey
    GrumpyOldCrust wrote: Here's your objective musical review. 14 year old kids write 11 shitty deathcore breakdowns. Proceed to fill in the gaps with boring rehashed tremolo riffs and beat ass alternate picking riffs that other 14 year old retards consider "thrash". Sprinkle some uninspired simplistic yet for some reason still pro tooled as **** drums and vocals. Get some plugs, crappy ink, and straighten your hair and viola. For the record there is nothing "thrash" or very much death metal about ANY deathcore band. Go listen to Carnal Forge and suck a fart out of my dick.
    By George, he's got it.
    GrumpyOldCrust
    Samuel Leumas
    Fuck... if I lived in Salt Lake City, Utah.. You bet your ass I'd be in a deathcore band. Its the ****ing capital of the mormon community. I would be playing the most Trem picked shit I could think of. I went and listened to a few tracks off the album and for its type of music its perfect the way it is. And someone said sweep picking is easy? I wouldnt say its easy so much as I would say it's a common technique, but one that does require skill. overall though, not bad. funny shit to read on here though. someone please bash me. Im a bash fanboy as of right now.