Desolation Of Eden review by Chelsea Grin

• Released: Feb 16, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Chelsea Grin: Desolation Of Eden

I saw these guys about a month ago. I don't know why they were even on the bill. They do NOTHING that hasn't been done by any other deathcore band. Guitars tuned down to a or b. And they have 3 guitar players! One would think that having 3 would open up possibilities for creativeness but they skipped out on that option. They lack technicality in every way, despite a few arpeggios they throw in the mix. They rely on breakdowns as their backbone in every song. Breakdowns are good in moderation, not every 30 seconds of a song. Its the same ones over and over. Some are slowed down at times which does nothing to revive an already dying band. And get a new name.

The screams are pretty high pitch and corny. His growls are weak at times but strong at others. The lyrics are pretty much what you get from most religious bashing singers/writers. Nothing too fancy or new in the content. His vocal style, when pulled off right, do go with the music pretty well I have to say. But once again its not near enough to really gain any credibility.

They are a spawn of Oceano, Whitechapel, and Suicide Silence that was born with severe mutations and should have been aborted at birth. Aborted, a band they could from btw. If I had to pick a track that I could tolerate it would be Elysium, only bc it caught me off guard and was a little different than the rest. I think it's safe to say that there is nothing in this album a die hard death metal fan would appreciate. Its all cookie cutter stuff made to appeal their own kind, scene kids. Nothing they do is any different than any other deathcore band. Disagree? Then I'd take another listen and have some hearing tests done.

Closterfoebic
    I lul'd at all this. No one cares about anyone else's opinion. But by all means, continue wasting your time trying to influence someone's musical taste. I'm still going to listen to it. And for the record, Lil' Wayne sucks. That is all.
    stevendornes
    Eurasian_C wrote: My friend booked a show with them on it over the summer. Probably one of the worst bands I've ever seen. They were on tour with Those Who Lie Beneath, now THERE'S a ****ing cool band to listen to. These idiots just backhop and DUN DUN DUN all day.
    haha funny is that i played in a show with them on that same tour and i didnt even really them that much but ever since i saw them live they have been my favorite band since. So its either you learn what good deathcore is or you can go fist-f**k your grandpa sideways, while eating out your grandma's hairy ass hole, also getting your d**k sucked by a grimy goat f**king w***e and die.
    lethalmike17
    All their albums are as heavy as ****! People who don't like CG should not care either. Don't act like 15year old metal wannabes...
    Camron62\m/
    Progis8strings wrote: I'm not huge on Deathcore by any means and this band's name makes them even less attractive as a listen. Just saying, naming matters.
    they're named after a torture method. that's bad-ass enough.
    the_burning_one
    We might as well conculude that with everything in music has already been done, and i would know because i've heard absoulety everything there is to listen too and have the authority to make this claim. most ignorant statement ever said. This band did a hell of a good job and i agree with the first review, they will take over deathcore. And metal is changing, just like everything else. more so evolving than changing. For all the people that are comparing deathmetal to deathcore, why? deathcore is basically the new model of metal. just like a new model of a car or some shit. one day it'll grow old, just like black metal, but it'll never die, just like all the metal genres. and chelsea grin is on the front lines atm Oh yeah, "this band is'nt technical enough", this is deathcore not technical death metal, its suppose to heavy riffs, chugging, some sweeps, you know, obvisouly you do because your bitching about it. You want technicality? then your in the wrong place. for last point...why do people insisit on going to a review of a cd they don't like and trashing the shit out of it? waste of time? stupidity? idk. this shit is sick, cant wait to see them live with WC on welcome to hell tour. [/quote]
    OurRequiem
    This band is ****ing sick. i dont give a **** what anyone says about them. yeah im a hardcore/deathcore/ scene kid whatever you wanna call it. "Everything in deathcore in general and this album have been done already" thats all i hear from you haters. find me something that was made that doesnt have something that sounds similar to it. We might as well conculude that with everything in music has already been done, and i would know because i've heard absoulety everything there is to listen too and have the authority to make this claim. This band did a hell of a good job and i agree with the first review, they will take over deathcore. And metal is changing, just like everything else. more so evolving than changing. For all the people that are comparing deathmetal to deathcore, why? deathcore is basically the new model of metal. just like a new model of a car or some shit. one day it'll grow old, just like black metal, but it'll never die, just like all the metal genres. and chelsea grin is on the front lines atm Oh yeah, "this band is'nt technical enough", this is deathcore not technical death metal, its suppose to heavy riffs, chugging, some sweeps, you know, obvisouly you do because your bitching about it. You want technicality? then your in the wrong place. for last point...why do people insisit on going to a review of a cd they don't like and trashing the shit out of it? waste of time? stupidity? idk. this shit is sick, cant wait to see them live with WC on welcome to hell tour.
    stevendornes
    First of all of all, if you knew what there band name meant maybe you'd understand, and second of all, clearly none of you who dis on metal understand it, its about fun, if you've seen this band live you would know because there not standing in one spot the whole time doing head spins and on top of that, the vocalists screaming is so high pitched, i bet no one who makes fun of it can do that good of screaming, plus its all exhales and his growls sound godly. I do realize there guitar parts aren't very hard but the way they use transitition with there guitar parts is amazing, and plus whos the p***y whos gonna b**th about too many breakdowns... theres no such thing. I wouldn't even like metal if there weren't breakdowns. I'm also in a band im the drummer i'm on my friends account, and we played with chelsea grin in Lancaster, PA when they played with MCMB and The Red Chord, they were no doubt the best band there, and the best band i've seen live, since then we've leaned almost every song from Desolation of Eden and their self-titled EP. They are deffinatly the best band so I don't f**ks with any-you haters.
    beforethethrone
    I don't see why people have to post stupid comments bashing the bands all the time. If you don't like, fine, you don't need to go around ranting about it. I honestly though this CD wasn't too terrible. The best parts about this album is "Sonnet Of The Wretched" or "Elysium." I would say this is only gets about a 6 or 7/10, but I think if they keep making progress like they are they'll be big sometime soon.
    puremetal11
    While i will admit that a lot of their riffs are kinda unoriginal and there are too many chugs i still think it was awesome for some strange reason. Also you miserable ****s bicker like a bunch of little bitches. Its ****ing funny. P.S. Elysium ****ing owns.
    tancanada
    OLOL DETHCOAR TAKES NO TALUNT trolls can suck my peepee. i'd like to see you in a touring band that draws 300 kids nightly
    Shredder Guitar
    pwnd wrote: What a bunch of skinny jean wearing, flippy haired, poser ****s. Nothing but generic *chug, chug*, and 23 breakdowns each song.
    Because wearing skinny jeans affects your musical ability. James Hetfield wore the tightest jeans I've ever seen in the 80's, and look how popular Metallica is. Douche. Chelsea Grin is hardly "23 breakdowns in each song." It's their musical style, dude. Nobody asked about your opinion on their fashion sense.
    pwnd
    Moralless
    When are people going to realize that ALL music sounds the same? People bash on deathcore, but all death metal sounds the same, all metalcore sounds the same, all grind sounds the same, all hardcore sounds the same, all rap sounds the same, all pop sounds the same, all techno sounds the same, all country sounds the same, all punk sounds the same, etc...
    Zeraninator
    I think it's funny how you fanboys bash the trolls for flaming this band on a ****ing REVIEW page. What the **** is the point of listening/downloading the music if it's given bad reviews? Either pages like this or Youtube pages are the eye-opener pages, where either the jackass either loves or hate the band. So quit using the "if u dont like them then y r u readng there reviews?" excuse and actually provide a logical argument, you scene mor[m]ons. Fuck.
    sexclamation
    This band is just really bad. All of you saying " If you don't like deatchore, then I don't want to see your opinions" are idiots. The comments section is exactly for people's opinions. Maybe no one wants to hear how much you love this shitty ass band. Also, to say that they are not shit because they are popular is retarded. Listen to the radio and tell me that stupid ass statement makes any sense. This bands is the equivalent of every band that jacked Devil Wears Prada's sound to become famous. They are just riding the coat tails of the popularity of the genre by employing every cliche thing the genre has to offer.