Desolation Of Eden Review

7.1
 6.1
 1,265
Desolation Of Eden Reviewed by: ThatWouldBeJon, on february 26, 2010

Sound: Desolation Of Eden is the most recent product of the Salt Lake City, Utah deathcore band Chelsea Grin. Their Previous efforts produced the roughly recorded Chelsea Grin EP (July 27th, 2008) and early tracks of such songs as Recreant, Crewcabanger, and Cheyene Stokes. These days there aren't many standout albums that emerge from the deathcore genre yet Desolation Of Eden can be considered an exception to the rule, with its powerfull harmonys, crushing riffs, dynamic sweeps, and alexs' insane high-low vocal abilities. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on Desolation Of Eden are as powerfull as the music with it, and features some pretty well put together lines, one of my favorite being a verse in Recreant where Alex says... I'm f--king sick of all the lies and all the treachery I was always by your side and this is how you repay And after all these years you f--king turned your back on me? I can't believe I ever considered you family I will never forget this knife you placed in my back Recreant... The lyrical subject on Desolation Of Eden can go anywhere from Betrayal, To choosing your own path, And to of course, death. Alex has a voice that suits Chelsea Grin well and is very well capable of doing screaming highs and insane lows. // 9

Overall Impression: The overall production of Desolation Of Eden is very well compared to the Chelsea Grin EP and captures the band members abilities just as well. 01. Judgement: although it is a rather weak track in my eyes compared to the rest of the album, it does do the job of preparing you for whats to come. 02. Desolation Of Eden: blending right into the ending of Judgement this particuler track holds its own in capturing the trademark "Chelsea Grin" sound. 03. False Sense Of Sanity: this song didn't especially stand out to me in the first half of it but does it feature a nice groove sounding breakdown in the last minute. 04. Sonnet Of The Wretched: starting with a slow fade-in this track highlights alexs' ability to do incredible lows and write interesting lyrics. 05. Cheyene Stokes: this track, Coming from the Chelsea Grin EP, i somewhat knew what to expect yet was still very impressed with how the guys re-recorded it and kept nearly all the orginal parts with of course the addition of much improved vocals. 06. The Human Condition: right from the start this song will catch your attention and hold it until the end with its tapping melodys, crushing rythm guitar and solid drums. 07. Elysium: at first listen this instrumental caught me completely off guard in that it maintains a brutal structured rythm yet highlights a soft calming lead guitar making this track deffinatly in the top 3 best tracks on the album. 08. Recreant: being another Chelsea Grin EP song I was looking forward to this track the most. although it seems a bit slower than the EP version it sounds 10x better in quality and features a new insanely slow breakdown at the end of the song. if I could describe Chelsea Grin in one song I'd say Recreant would be it. 09. Cast From Perfection: not a big standout on the record compared to some of the other tracks it still packs quite a punch. 10. Revenant: aside from having a similar spelled name to Recreant this track holds its own and shows the talent of alex, jaek, david, dan, andrew, and michael very well. 11. Wasteland: putting a close to the album this track features disembodied voice speaking almost unreconisibly under the roar of the intruments before the song comes to a close. Desolation Of Eden highlights the talents of each band member and is a good step in the right direction for them. One of my only disapointments about the album was that they didn't put the track Crewcabanger (Chelsea Grin EP) on the new record for some reason. And also at times it seemed as if the music was dragging on longer than it should have been but other than that I suggest any Chelsea Grin fan should pick this up. // 8

Desolation Of Eden Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 19, 2010

Sound: Chelsea Grin's debut album, Desolation of Eden has been highly anticipated for months. Desolation of Eden features a mix of mellow melodies and smashing rhythms to bring hope for the next decade in deathcore. The album starts off heavy with Judgement, which pretty much gives away most of what the rest of the album will feature. The song has intricate rhythms and simple leads that really catch the ear of any listener. There are some good riffs on the album as well, especially within the song, Sonnet of the Wretched, which has very melodic feel to it. Although a lot of chords and palm muting, there are some good leads thrown into songs, such as The Human Condition, which has some great and challenging arpeggios. The leads are eerie and slow, not too complex to confuse the listener. What really gives this album a different sound is the more relaxed tempos used than your average deathcore band. Compared to the likes of Duck Duck Goose, or even The Red Shore, the tempo is slower and more soothing to the ear. Don't be fooled though, the drums are as complicating as any other deathcore band, but the mix works beautiful, quick drums and melodic guitars. The mix of the album is better than expected for a debut album, overall a good sound. // 8

Lyrics: The vocals on the album are cheesy at times, sounding much like many other deathcore bands. The growls are hit perfectly, the high pitched screams are muffled and weak at times, and the squeals are ridiculously accurate. The squeals can even hinder or help a song. The squeals accurately sound like someone being slaughtered, which is probably what the whole feel of the album was generated towards. The vocals overall are decent, boring at times, but it's all been done before and you can't get past that. Good job. // 7

Overall Impression: Desolation of Eden is but a hope for what is to be coming next from Chelsea Grin. The band is going to completely take over the deathcore scene in a couple of years, as the light only shines brighter. Mixing old thrash influences with present day deathcore to bring a soothing and relaxing album. The best thing about the album is the song Elysium, which is an all out instrumental that breaks away from the chords and has more leads and solos. It is played out perfectly, and makes you wonder if they can create more solos and songs like this in the future, which if they can, they will take over the metal scene. Overall a must have album for deathcore fans, and a new album to try out for metal fans alike. Elysium makes this album worth it, Desolation of Eden will just be the first success of Chelsea Grin, and I am excited for what is to come. // 7

- Sean Michael Gonzalez (c) 2010

Desolation Of Eden Reviewed by: death_unknown, on march 24, 2010

Sound: I saw these guys about a month ago. I don't know why they were even on the bill. They do NOTHING that hasn't been done by any other deathcore band. Guitars tuned down to a or b. And they have 3 guitar players! One would think that having 3 would open up possibilities for creativeness but they skipped out on that option. They lack technicality in every way, despite a few arpeggios they throw in the mix. They rely on breakdowns as their backbone in every song. Breakdowns are good in moderation, not every 30 seconds of a song. Its the same ones over and over. Some are slowed down at times which does nothing to revive an already dying band. And get a new name. // 3

Lyrics: The screams are pretty high pitch and corny. His growls are weak at times but strong at others. The lyrics are pretty much what you get from most religious bashing singers/writers. Nothing too fancy or new in the content. His vocal style, when pulled off right, do go with the music pretty well I have to say. But once again its not near enough to really gain any credibility. // 3

Overall Impression: They are a spawn of Oceano, Whitechapel, and Suicide Silence that was born with severe mutations and should have been aborted at birth. Aborted, a band they could from btw. If I had to pick a track that I could tolerate it would be Elysium, only bc it caught me off guard and was a little different than the rest. I think it's safe to say that there is nothing in this album a die hard death metal fan would appreciate. Its all cookie cutter stuff made to appeal their own kind, scene kids. Nothing they do is any different than any other deathcore band. Disagree? Then I'd take another listen and have some hearing tests done. // 3

Comments