Evolve review by Chelsea Grin

• Released: Jun 19, 2012
Chelsea Grin: Evolve

Chelsea Grin's new EP is nothing short of amazing. The technicality, speed, and song structures are the best in their career. While some Chelsea Grin fans will continue to b-tch about the clean vocals, I find them great, and really add a "mature" level to their music. The only thing I can complain about is Alex's screams. He sounds like Donald Duck at times, but he can now hit shrieking highs and nasty lows like in their first EP and album. He proves this by remaking "The Human Condition".

A step up. There are great topics on this EP. Drug addictions, heartbreak, religion, etc. Here's a small sample of what's in this EP: "I lead the path unto a blackened world I drank the blood of the saints I'm a vessel of unholiness I am more than a malignant spirit I will spread my plague until the sun blacks out." Compare that to "Love is dead/You'd rather give head" from "Crewcabanger". The cleans give the songs much more depth and emotion.

This has to be their best material to date. The band as a whole has improved greatly over their short career. If this is what is in store for Chelsea Grin fans, then they have a long career ahead of them.

saintjimmy99
    Clean vocals in Deathcore sound anything but "mature." They sound like overeager attempts to get laid by chicks with super saiyan hair.
    EpiExplorer
    northbeach wrote: Greatest ****ing musical material I've heard to this date, hands down. COME AT ME HATERS
    I'm flattered but I do not swing that way.
    Krakorn
    these comments are getting annoying. I personally really enjoyed this EP, it's a huuuuge step up from their other work. Jason Richardson added a lot to the music, much less monotonous chugging and a lot more catchy riffs. Confining a band to a specific genre such as deathcore is foolish. If a band wants to add more to their music, that's up to them. It's not ALWAYS a good addition, but to me personally its fantastic.
    Jako215
    I dig it. I like the cleans. I will say this though. For a genre where everybody says it all sounds the same, whenever somebody does something different people will complain. I've heard some nasty immature comments about the cleans on this record by people. They turned a 180 and despise them now. Its sad to see people act this dumb because they didn't get what they want.
    whaitschnoik
    PoorePlaysBass wrote: I like to think there is some good music in every genre out there, but I'm yet to find it in deathcore.
    Have a try on All Shall Perish's "The Price of Existence" album...
    Kazooiej
    Krakorn wrote: these comments are getting annoying....
    Welcome to the metal community. Full of ignorant folks bashing on eachother because someone likes what they don't like.
    PoorePlaysBass
    EpiExplorer wrote: :[
    MyNameAreHenry
    Kazooiej
    So, now everyone has expressed their hate towards anything deathcore or chelsea grin related, i'd like to say i really dig this EP. I've never really liked their vocals, but they weren't as annoying as the vocals in their previous work. Except for that fact, i think they did a great job.
    BwareDWare94
    FirstMateJepeto
    I really ain't a deathcore fan, but you should pick up Whitechapel or Despised Icon.
    theogonia777
    adamlovesbcrich
    Do you know what a Chelsea Grin is?
    EpiExplorer
    Ultraussie wrote: BwareDWare94 wrote: I don't think I've ever heard a song by this band, but there's just something that I can't take seriously. Maybe it's the absurdly stupid name. Chelsea Grin is a type of mutilation where your mouth gets sliced ear to ear. Yep. I hardly find that a stupid name for a death metal band (Deathcore being a subgenre of Death Metal, come at me haters)
    Its still a stupid name. All deathcore does is hide behind metaphors and swear words.
    pokerhappy
    Exactly. Real death metal bands are called things like Cannibal Corpse.
    Zane10104
    No matter what perspective i look at Cannibal Corpse, they suck REALLY BAD. I saw them live at the Summer Slaughter Tour, every other band kicked there little "br00tal" asses. I judge music off its MUSIC, not how ****ing gross and brutal the lyrics are.
    EyesWideOpen
    If anyone hates at you it'll be because you presume that people care about what you think about this band.
    metalforlife18
    I fail to see why everyone hates this band. They've done a 180 degree shift on their ENTIRE sound. I just don't get it.
    EpiExplorer
    saint_berzerker wrote: PoorePlaysBass wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: :[ Epi, why does everyone hate on you for disliking deathcore? Truly, death metal is meant to be a very technically advanced subgenre, not infinite chugging and breakdowns. Can't tell me there's a difference between say Opeth and In Flames and these guys. When compared to the real deal, deathcore really just doesn't hold up. I like to think there is some good music in every genre out there, but I'm yet to find it in deathcore. Any metal sub-genre that has CORE on the end of it is nothing more than a band that is not technically apt to the specific genre they're trying to play. It's as if saying "Lite" or "Lesser-than". It's really just an inferior form of the style. Some people like it for some reason, but I just get tired of it after 1 song.
    That doesn't really explain grindcore though. Jokes aside and technically speaking, it comes from hardcore punk bands (when they were actually hard, and not hipster/gangster crossovers like we have now) in the early 90's playing 80's heavy metal riffs. As sounds progressed and different bands did things differently (which is rare in metalcore, these days), everything sped up, a certain vocal style became popular and while breakdowns weren't really present, half timing was. Then everything kinda evolved, but it became an atrophied mutation by 2005, when BFMV released that awful album with the bland name. Now we've got what we've got, which is every 19 year old american from the middle states' slowpoke response to a dying scene.
    PoorePlaysBass
    Sorry for the double, but I kinda typed backwards there for a bit...You CAN tell me there's a difference, a clear difference, between this and real death metal.
    pokerhappy
    "Come and watch my lips turn blue I wrote this song just for you I can't forget when I felt you It was clear to me that I needed you Fuck this world And **** this place" Lyrical genius.
    ShevanelFlip
    proto-deatchore.....*Facepalm*
    Ultraussie
    northbeach
    Andrew C. S.
    The Contortionist is a really good deathcore band.
    ghostXguitar
    MyNameAreHenry wrote: "Nothing short of amazing" ? Really? I've heard a couple of songs off this and I think the lyrics are pathetic and the riffs don't seem to lead anywhere.
    Most of there materiel are the same, nothing more then a below average dethcore band. I never really found them to be 'talented' or anything to get excited about. Just another Hot Topic band. I did like one of their album art work but, that was the closest I got to liking this band, I will say that.
    EyesWideOpen
    Chelsea grin aren't death metal. At all. They are deathcore. I'm not a hater. I'm someone telling you that you are wrong.
    saint_berzerker
    mr7string
    The Discovery 2.0 with terrible vocals. Jason is an amazing guitarist and he's obviously contributed a LOT to CG but everything he writes will just be another version of The Discovery :/
    CollinsKChris
    It's hard for most to get into this kind of metal but musically this is a fantastic album. I think Alex does a great job mixing his highs and lows. Expecting great things to come from CG. Keep it up guys!
    ThyDevourer
    Michael Stafford WAS CG. Jason's riffs are so stupid. Here's how all theyre songs were made: Band: ok now we have a badass song Jason: hey guys i have this new riff that wouldn't go with the song at all Band: ok lets put it in the song anyway and add clean vocals And the people who made these reviews are beyond stupid. The song you think is about a "breakup" is about the first wife of Adam who was a demon...f*ck chelsea grin its really making it hard to defend them when they're new EP is complete sh*t Chelsea Grin used to be the definition of deathcore. now theyre just some pussy metalcore band trying to be br00tal.
    EpiExplorer
    ShevanelFlip wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: theogonia777 wrote: PoorePlaysBass wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: :[ Epi, why does everyone hate on you for disliking deathcore? Truly, death metal is meant to be a very technically advanced subgenre, not infinite chugging and breakdowns. Can't tell me there's a difference between say Opeth and In Flames and these guys. When compared to the real deal, deathcore really just doesn't hold up. I like to think there is some good music in every genre out there, but I'm yet to find it in deathcore. I love the "compared to the real deal" part after referencing In Flames and Opeth. They're about as much the "real deal" as any deathcore band really. Try Morbid Angel, Benediction, Bolt Thrower, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, etc. That's the "real deal" right there. I would normally support that, but Morbid Angel play hardcore techno and Cryptopsy and Suffocation both play proto-deathcore. proto-deatchore.....*Facepalm*
    Suffocation is the band that every deathcore band first ripped off. Cryptopsy's latest album had one chord breakdowns and clean vocals.
    EpiExplorer
    EyesWideOpen wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: theogonia777 wrote: PoorePlaysBass wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: :[ Epi, why does everyone hate on you for disliking deathcore? Truly, death metal is meant to be a very technically advanced subgenre, not infinite chugging and breakdowns. Can't tell me there's a difference between say Opeth and In Flames and these guys. When compared to the real deal, deathcore really just doesn't hold up. I like to think there is some good music in every genre out there, but I'm yet to find it in deathcore. I love the "compared to the real deal" part after referencing In Flames and Opeth. They're about as much the "real deal" as any deathcore band really. Try Morbid Angel, Benediction, Bolt Thrower, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, etc. That's the "real deal" right there. I would normally support that, but Morbid Angel play hardcore techno and Cryptopsy and Suffocation both play proto-deathcore. Oh dude you REEAAALLLYYYY need to check out what Cryptopsy and Morbid Angel used to be like.
    I know what they used to be like. I never listened to them that much, but I respect Altars of Madness and None So Vile. Late 80's and early 90's death metal hasn't been my thing, but its what came straight after that was.
    valennic
    I wouldn't have hated this album as much if it weren't for the guitarist spouting off about how "new" it was going to sound, how "its like nothing you've ever heard", and, I don't want to burst any bubbles, its exactly like every deathcore album put out in the last few years. Jason Richardson is a phenomenal guitarist, but even he can't save a band thats doomed to talk about ex girlfriends, teenage angst, and other such trivial bullshit. Theres enough of this already, enough with it. That being said, some of the riffs are pretty awesome. Everything else can go die in a fire.
    Joeyphiilips400
    I had a friend recommend these guys to me. When I listened to My Damnation I wasn't to impressed, but to be fair it just isn't my cup of tea. I listened to Lilith and found a more depth to the song and the music. The EP is a huge step for the band I agree with a lot of the comments and I felt it was needed for them. I don't really listen to Deathcore or Deathmetal, but this album has definitely opened a door for me. I hate seeing so much negativity towards this album. Open mindedness helps genres and music expand. I don't understand metal elitist.
    jas6nq
    Do you even know what a chelsea grin is? Look it up.
    Neuros
    pokerhappy wrote: Exactly. Real death metal bands are called things like Cannibal Corpse.
    Precisely, metal history is not heavily sprinkled with clever band names. Or clever stage names, for that matter. Using names as a way of picking out which bands to listen to, one would end up with a very short playlist...
    Neuros
    Wow. I mean, just wow! After being a metalhead for more than a quarter of a century, I still find it puzzling that this genre has so many internal haters and bashers, when we should all be a united brotherhood standing up against the evils of autotuning and Magic Megahit Composer 2.0 factory-music we all drown in when stepping out of our comfort zone in an effort to be slightly human and socialize with non-metallers. We get this kind of shit-talk from everyone else, with their "my dog could play this", and "why does he throw up and call it vocals" blah blah blah, we don't need to add to this and trash-talk people and bands a lot closer to our taste than say Bieber and his beliebers, jeez. And what's even more peculiar is that people hate on music that appeals to teenagers (labelling it as sellout-music etc), ignoring the fact that they themselves got into metal at that very same age or younger. If no metal band or metal music appealed to kids, there would be no more metal in the end now would there. We should embrace whatever gets metal or metal-like music more socially acceptable, not the other way around! If you listen to metal just to be "non-conformative and different", you are nothing but a pretentious douchebag. Metal is not about that at all. I have genres of metal I like, and I have genres of metal i dislike, or even hate listening to. But as music is highly subjective, I carry no personal grudge or hatred for neither perfomers or fanboys alike, I just don't listen to it. Period. I do not regard genres I don't like as retarded or being a genre for people-who-can't-play-their-instruments. Valuing music based on technical proficiancy? Oh please, go suck a duck, and listen to Dream Theater and Meshuggah all you like (which I also happen to like). I value music by how it makes me feel, not by how many hours you must practice to be able to play it. Assuming of course that they play what the're supposed to play correctly. And using In Flames as an example of a "technical" band? HAHAHAHA, that's pretty much the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. I've heard studio tales of how boring it was to record their stuff because they had to retake everyting ad absurdum, and that being music that isn't that difficult to play to begin with. That being said, I really like their earlier stuff, Whoracle being the last one to really match my taste. But I did NOT listen to them because they were comparable in skill to a concert pianist, for sure. I have plenty of personal experience of idiots like you bashers, being more into spewing your negative opinions on people who disagree with you, rather than focusing on the stuff you actually DO like and just leave everyone else the f**k alone. I grew up in the norwegian metal scene, surrounded by hardcore black metal-heads who truly valued their own and other black metal acts music in negative proportion to the number of fans. The less people that came to see your show, the more tr00ly black metal and evil you were! F**king retards. In the late 90's I once had, I think it was Fenriz (but I don't quite recall), try and pick a fight with me over my Obituary t-shirt when he just came over to my table bashing Obituary as shitty posers and more or less calling me an idiot for liking them. Mature indeed. Real mature. And evil too, I bet they will be rewarded for their shenanigans when they get to whatever hell they pretend to believe in. Regardig album reviews, I take them about as seriously as I do movie reviews. You just can't rely on someone elses opinion regarding something as subjective as music, or art in general. I support whatever I like, and let those I don't like carry on with their own business. ...And CG is actually one of the very few deathcore bands I listen to, so there!
    HollowPoint423
    EpiExplorer wrote: PoorePlaysBass wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: :[ Epi, why does everyone hate on you for disliking deathcore? Truly, death metal is meant to be a very technically advanced subgenre, not infinite chugging and breakdowns. Can't tell me there's a difference between say Opeth and In Flames and these guys. When compared to the real deal, deathcore really just doesn't hold up. I like to think there is some good music in every genre out there, but I'm yet to find it in deathcore. I found some bands were promising but seemed to focus on the same 1 0 1 0 breakdown to ruin their perfectly awesome compositions: Rings of Saturn Fallujah Abiotic Ascariasis (dont search that into google images)
    I googled it. I don't want pasta for at least week now!!!
    Inglig909
    I love the sound made by the instruments but I can't stand the vocals. It sounds like he's trying to throw up his lungs