My Damnation review by Chelsea Grin

• Released: Jul 19, 2011
Chelsea Grin: My Damnation

It's amazing the type of progression some bands can make. Chelsea Grin most certainly prove this with their newest offering, "My Damnation". The previous release, "Desolation Of Eden", was basically deathcore by the books: tremollo picking, breakdowns, blast beats, driving bass, the works. However, amongst the oversaturation of the genre at the time, "Desolation" was just another above average deathcore album. "My Damnation" takes the best elements of their first effort, and expands on them. The breakdowns are still here, of course, and still as blisteringly heavy, but there's more fret board exploration this time around. More leads, and some pretty good solos (see "My Damnation", and the amazing fretwork in "Calling In Silence") make the album sound more thought out than their first. Some tracks fall a bit short musically, such as the over breakdown saturated "Cursed" and "Everlasting Sleep", but a true surprise kicks in with the track "Kharon". No drums, no vocals, only somber, acoustic guitars leading into the bludgeoningly amazing title track. This kind of pacing, if used more on this album, would have made for a far better listen. The material is good, but more exploration would be definately welcome in the future.

Vocals are miles better this time. The highs are piercing and tormented, the growls are lower, and alltogether sound better produced and better executed. The new tone drives the violence and pain within the lyrics well, and definately sets the mood. Lyrically, this is pretty standard for deathcore. Relatively well written, centering on themes of torment, murder, death, and of course, damnation. Lyric samples incude: "Look into my eyes and decide if I'm a human being My soul was ripped from me." - "My Damnation" "Why must I feel empty? Will I ever feel again? I have given everything I am." - "Oblivion" "The horsemen set to make their ride The planet, too, will slowly die Now kneel before your sire All hail the fallen king." - "The Fallen King" (feat. Phil from Whitechapel).

"My Damnation" may not break too much ground in a genre already crowded with plenty of simmilar bands, but it's a pretty great ride for those who enjoy this scene. Equal parts brutal, emotional, and energetic, the album has a habbit of getting under my skin and not wanting to let go. Most certainly won't convert any deathcore haters, but most certainly delivers on every aspect that Chelsea Grin fans crave. For fans of: Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, Impending Doom.

Molin
    you forgot to mention Last Breath!? that melodic chorus part in that song is beautiful O.o
    rob904
    Metallidethium
    rob904 : EpiExplorer wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Due to the increasing mediocrity of bands like this, I now see deathcore as a form of mainstream techno: All beats, no musicality. Boring as hell, too. Your boring I dont have 'a boring', so what're ya on about? lolololololololololol, grammar burn. People really need to stop labeling deathcore as something other than what it is.
    I love grammar burns . EpiExplorer made my day, lol.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Your boring
    Camron62\m/
    Ibeanez wrote: The band name. It sucks. Haven't heard this album though.
    it's named after a torture method. how does that suck?
    EpiExplorer
    I dont have 'a boring', so what're ya on about?
    EpiExplorer
    1manbandtan
    In all honesty, I love the new vocals. Alex's voice is much more strong, and powerful sounding. For example, listen to the breakdown towards the end of "My Damnation" where he says "Follow me to the depths". His voice just sounds so powerful and strong and makes me wanna hit something. The overall dynamics of the drums and guitar are just great. It is a change up from desolation of Eden, but I enjoy it. Recommended songs: My Damnation, The Foolish One, and Cursed are some of my favorites!
    usmarshall97
    i love this band. in fact im going to see them i a few days, and its gonna be amazing. the last album was definatley alot heavier and crunchier. but this new album takes that old sound and fixes it and makes it perfection by far one of the best albums that has been released by a deathcore band
    Insomnia69
    I FEEAAAR NO GOOOOOD! Love this album, especially the vocals, they're very unique.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Grammar eh
    MrMongo
    I like Chelsea Grin and I love deathcore but I wasn't fond of this album... The new vocals turned me off, especially the highs
    kris323
    Theyre super cool guys but they blow. Only so many ways to hit open strings.
    axeldarkman420
    This band sucks! I don't get how people are saying how this is "progressive." It's the same formula as their first record. Breakdown after breakdown.
    Breakdownlulz
    I love Chelsea Grin. I have to admit that once you've heard one song, you've heard them all, though. I enjoy all their albums to date and hope they change things up a bit in the future.