This Is The End Of Control review by Cherri Bomb

• Released: May 15, 2012
Cherri Bomb: This Is The End Of Control

For a debut album from a band of teenage girls, Cherri Bomb's "This Is The End Of Control" proves that there is a new crop of rockers that can hold there own with the likes of the Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, and LostProphets (all of whom Cherri Bomb has already opened for). If you're one of those people that think that girl groups can't rock, I ask you to give this album a spin or see them live and I think you'll be impressed. 01. "Take This Now": A short but sweet intro track that serves it's purpose of drawing the audience in. Julia Pierce (vocals/lead guitar) and Miranda Miller's (vocals/rhythm guitar) harmonies are showcased throughout the 48 second track give you a taste of what's to come. 02. "Better This Way": This track sets the pace for the rest of the album with it's up tempo beat, guitar riffs, and energized chorus. Julia Pierce sings with an intensity that sets the tone for the rest of the album. Overall, it's a great leadoff track for what will be an impressive debut. 03. "Raw.Real": The entire band does a great job on this track to set a solid beat. The little solo and vocal harmonies in the middle of the song give you a small chance to catch you're breath before the chorus jumps back in again. Rena Lovelis (vocals/bass) and Julia Pierce split the vocals on this track in a way that makes gives each equal time and showcases Cherri Bomb's variety of singers. 04. "Shake The Ground": A song that made it's way onto the "Avengers Soundtrack". Julia Pierce says the song is about taking control of your life and the album's name comes from a lyric in the song. The song itself has what should now be a familiar intensity to it that will get the crowd headbanging to the beat. 05. "Too Many Faces": One of my three personal favorites, this song takes Cherri Bomb's harmonies to the max with the group splitting into four part harmonies during the intro. The longest track on the album takes advantage of it's calmer tempo to give the audience a reprieve but that doesn't take away from the emotions in Julia Pierce's vocals. According to her, the song is about when you think you know someone but then you realize you don't know them at all. 06. "Let It Go": Another of my personal favorites. This track is an up tempo song about following your dreams. This is another track where Cherri Bomb's harmonies are showcased along with the first time that the instrumental skills of the individuals are put to the forefront. 07. "Sacrificial Lamb": The most interesting track on the album. This is a song that you'll listen to over and over either for the unique sound of the song or for Nia Lovelis' (vocals/drums) interesting lyrics. This is also one of the coolest songs to see them perform live. 08. "Act The Part": A basic satire of the struggle between a band and their label over image. Rena Lovelis takes vocals on this song and the combination of her and the instrumental makes this track easily memorable and, in my opinion, one of those songs that grow on you until you're hooked. 09. "Drawing A Blank": Another favorite of mine. The guitars are here in full force with a riff that quickly draws you into the song. Julia Pierce's vocals provide the perfect second layer for a song that she says is about being in a relationship and then realizing one day that you don't know why you're in it. 10. "Heart Is A Hole": The one ballad on the album. To me, it feels like it doesn't belong as it is much slower than the rest of the songs. In a way, it almost kills the momentum that has been built up throughout the album. But it's also a perfect follow up to "Drawing A Blank". Julia Pierce's lyrics describe a heartbreak that could have come from the relationship in the previous song. 11. "Paper Doll": Miranda Miller takes the vocals on this empowering track about getting out of a bad relationship. The guitars again give energy where it's needed and retreat to give the vocals some prominence making this track a nice blend of both parts. 12. "Hold On": The final track on the album is sung by Rena Lovelis. It's a nice way to end the album with the song being about sticking together as a band and not being split up by outside forces. It also has "to be continued" feel to it and I'm sure this isn't going to be the last we hear of Cherri Bomb.

The lyrics on this album have their ups and downs. There are some moments where the meaning behind the song is quite clear and others where you have to listen to it multiple times to find it. On the other hand, each member of the band showcases her vocals at some point or another on the album and none of them disappoint, proving that they are way beyond their years at least in terms of talent and skill.

Overall, this album is pretty solid for the debut by a group of teenage girls. It is a little rough in places but the talent of the band shines through almost all over the album. Again, don't shoot this album down because it's by teenagers. After having seen them live, I can definitely say that they aren't autotuned in any way. They perform the songs live just like the way they are on the album. They're just that good and I can safely say that I'm looking forward to their next release.

whywefight
    I gave it a 5. the good: they're younger than me, and i give them props. the bad: they kinda make bad music, and i didn't win their contest. therefore, only a five.
    dash-rendar
    Stupid reason to give em a five
    whywefight
    The last reason was a minute factor. But really, they deserve props for trying, but their music sucks. I'll still check out their next cd.