Hats Off To The Bull review by Chevelle

• Released: Dec 6, 2011
Chevelle: Hats Off To The Bull

I have been a huge Chevelle fan since the beginning of there careers and by now know that this band likes to experiment and alter there sound and genre a little with every new album. With there newest album "Hats Off To The Bull", I must say, I am impressed. They really found a solid sound on this new album using bits and pieces of their sound from Sci-Fi crimes while being able to go back to the roots of there original sounds from "Point #1", "Wonder What's Next", and "This Type Of Thinking". The album starts with an excellent groove from the opening song and first single "Face To The Floor". Then progressing through you can hear the excellent melodies of "Pinata". Ending the album is, maybe my favorite song from the album, "Clones". This song really wraps up what Chevelle is with the heavy, hard hitting grooves with diverse and ranging melodies.

Lyrically I found this album to be pretty good. Pete is an excellent lyricist and can really make lyrics to match the guitar tones behind them. In "Pinata" and "Ruse" I found maybe some of the best lyrics I have ever seen from Chevelle, but with songs such as "Same Old Trip" and "The Meddler" I found the lyrics to be a bit more shady. Over all the lyrics were all meaningful and relatable.

Overall I thought this album was great. I would recommend everyone to buy it. By no means is it the greatest thing I have ever heard and maybe not the greatest thing I have ever heard from Chevelle, but its new and its exciting. Buying this album expect to get your moneys worth and a nice solid forty five minutes or so worth of music.

BeefWellington
    For Christ's sake, stop comparing them to Tool. They're an influence, yes, but that doesn't mean Chevelle is Tool Mark II. They're commpletely different bands.
    easye917
    best album since wonder whats next and this type of thinking...**** what people say about bands sounding like other bands or not reinventimg themslves every album.chevelle does what works- heavy melodic riffs with Peter's low and raging vocals..ya kinda like TOOL- giess what i ****ing love TOOL too! either way tool is way deeper on a personal and social level, 15 minute songs and mystique...chevelle is just a straight up great rock band that always delivers. they may noy blow everyone out of the water but i love most of the songs on all of their albums and ALL of the songs on this one..i listened to Clones and ruse about 100 times each today and have been tab searching, cant wait to jam along.thats all i got..if you dont like it **** you.