Hats Off To The Bull review by Chevelle

• Released: Dec 6, 2011
Chevelle: Hats Off To The Bull

Hats off to Chevelle for putting together a rock album that is far above average. The "rock" illustration fits nicely, too, because "Hats Off To The Bull" is solid and monochromatic. Chevelle's formula is simple: fuzzy guitars, nicely audible bass, ordinary drumming, and the vocalist's unique tones. This is the recipe for their secret sauce, which they unashamedly slather all over this record. Everything tastes the same because the "sauce" overwhelms the palate, but you will still appreciate the tang. Chevelle knows their audience's flavor profile and they cook up the goods.

Vocalist Peter Loeffler, whose upper-register wail is the band's signature, takes the "less is more" approach. His great screams and sexy falsettos are sparingly sprinkled throughout the tracks. What a shame these underutilized nuggets are hella tasty. Lame foodie references aside, the lyrical themes aren't anything special. Most modern rock bands delve into the same subject matter. "You're a liar, I don't like you, and I'm going to kick your ass because you hurt me." However, Chevelle deserves big props for articulating their message in a different way. Stimulating vocal rhythms and implied messages inject new life to the same old issues.

"Hats Off To The Bull" is a lot like eating your favorite meal. Even though it would be the same damned thing over and over again, you'd still consume it every single day and enjoy it just the same. "Hats Off To The Bull" is appetizing from beginning to end.

XxAntisaintxX
    I don't get how anybody could compare any band to Tool. I'm not saying that Tool is band that is untouched (there are many bands that I'd sooner listen to), but there comes a point when the comparisons become silly. I've seen 10 Years compared to Tool and they're in completely different feels and genres. That's what I feel when Chevelle is compared to Tool; there's not much that can convince me to trust in the comparison. Chevelle is a completely unique band that has carved their own place into the scene. HOTTB is a beautiful, masterful album. So stop with the Tool comparisons. Stop it.
    Kaingel
    I like this album,similar to all there other albums IMHO but they do what they do best, heavy,melodic,solid and well produced songs with the one acoustic ballad. I like the slight change in the vocal style on a few of the songs. I can say there isn't a bad song on here, gets a lot of play time on my ipod- 8/10