This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In review by Chevelle

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Chevelle: This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In

The sound on this album is what stands out the most. The guitar sounds so great. The drums are also very well done especially now that there is some double-kicking in the songs, which makes the songs so much better. You can tell that the Loeffler brothers took so much time and energy to make the music sound so good. The music is so much louder and more clearer than the band's previous album, Wonder What's Next. There are some Tool-like riffs in this album, but that just one show's Chevelle's influences. I don't klnow any other band out there right now that can play like Chevelle, they are just too good.

Pete Loeffler, in my opinion, is one of the best songwriters in the rock genre. His lyrics are deep, dark, and very well written. This was the only problem though: the meanings were hard to discover in most of the songs. So many different areas are covered on this album. For example, the album's first single Vitamin R (Leading Us Along), is about how so many abuse the drug Ritalin. And you may not know this, but Get Some is about how the American Idol singers use songs, instead of creating their own material. Still Running is a motivational song about never giving up, and moving forward. Otherwise, the lyrics are very well hidden. but that doesn't make the songs bad. I don't think these lyrics were well placed on this album then they were on Wonder What's Next, but they are still very good. As for the vocals, two words: truely beautiful. Pete's voice has improved so much since the last album. He sings with so much emotion, and can hit the high range areas too. He screams so hard, which is so cool. And, you can hear what hes saying when he screams, its not like some loud noise. The best vocal performances on this Cd are shown in Panic Prone, To Return, and Breach Birth. But in every song Pete never disappoints you, his vocals just keep getting better and better.

Overall, this has become one of my all-time favorite albums in my collection right now. All of the songs have potential of being a radio hit, and thats very rare. My most favorite songs are Still Running, Vitamin R, Gey Some, and To Return. But I like every song on here. If you are a huge Chevelle fan like me, get this album. If you're a hard rock fan, get this album. Tust me, you will not be disappointed.