This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In review by Chevelle

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Chevelle: This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In

Chevelle has really evolved as a band. They came off a totally horrible first release, Point # 1, where everything just sucked. It was funny. I'd turn that on just to get a few laughs. But they are no laughing matter now, and are now a major force to be reckoned with. If you liked Wonder What's Next, you will love this album. It's full of massive, arm waving choruses, impressive guitar riffs in drop A#, and sweeping melodies. The sound is post-grunge, indie rock. If you love big, heavy guitar riffs, you will be listening to this album alot. In one or two songs they can get a little repetitive, but it's not bad. Also, this album sounds great in a car with subs. If you have subs in your car, put this album in to get some serious vibrations. Overall, the album's sound is distinctly Chevelle and is quite impressive. Guitar god John Petrucci liked the guitar tone on the album so much that he even called Pete Loeffler (Chevelle's guitarist/vocalist) to ask how he did it! So yeah, the sound is great, you won't be disappointed.

I thought the lyrics were great. They tend to be very vague and ambiguous, like most post-grunge stuff. They are sung very emotionally, which adds a lot of meaning though. They are mostly observations about other people or society in general. But they are still from a personal perspective, not a political one. So don't be in fear of yet another band trying to go political on their fans. The lyrics fit the songs perfectly, mostly due to the great emotional singing of Loeffler. Loeffler sounds great on the album, whether he be screaming at the top of his lungs, seething through clenched teeth, or just singing a simple melody.

This album compares very well with Wonder What's Next, only it's more evolved and sounds a little better. Some songs that really stand out on the record are The Clincher, Vitamin R (Leading Us Along), and Still Running. All these songs have great catchy choruses and riffs. Another song that really stands out is Another Know It All, due to the chorus of nothing but screaming and double bass. I love how the music is so emotional. Loefler really makes the band with his great vocal abilites. Music is an emotional tool, and Chevelle keeps it that way. If I had to change one thing, that would probably be a little less repetition in the verses of Tug-O-War and Emotional Drought, but that's just a minor complaint, they're still great songs. I would definitely buy this album again if I lost it, but I would get it in DualDisc form. That way I could see how they made the album and some of their videos. Give this album a try if you like down tuned heavy riffs, talented vocals, some screaming, and great melodies. The only thing the album doesn't deliver on is soloing. So if your into alot of lead guitar, this album won't be the best choice for you. However, I'd like to mention that the album doesn't need solos. The album has it's own sound, and is not missing anything. Overall, this is a great modern rock album.