This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In review by Chevelle

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Chevelle: This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In

Chevelle's spin on nu-metal/hard rock sounds and music is pleasing for what is around today in forms of music. Their interesting blend of running rhythms and lyrical variations make for an on-going pleasing experience to any listener. Repetition is common for Chevelle in verses and choruses but they are arranged so nicely, you don't mind. The real stand-out of Chevelle's sound is Pete Loeffler's (aka Pete Chevelle on the booklet) vocal contributions. The only problem with Chevelle is that the drums are always at a lower volume compared to the driving guitar and this occasionally happens with the bass also.

The lyrics are dark, moody, and often powerful in meaning and in how they are represented by Pete. The lyrics and music obviously fit together due to their dark nature. Pete is one of my favorite vocalists today which is hard to get that spot with me. Most music today has vocalists who have whiny, pre-pubescent screaming voices while Pete has a very mature tone and powerful impact in any word he says.

I can't really compare this CD to any other because this is totally different from anything else I listen to. Some highly acclaimed songs by myself are 'Panic Prone,' 'Get Some,' 'Still Running,' and 'Tug-o-War.' I also like the songs that are listed on the album cover such as 'The Clincher' and 'Vitamin R.' I love how this CD just all around kicks major ass compared to other bands out today. It's got hard-rocking, powerful, and great music. I love every second on this album and I treasure it in times of being unsure, insecure, or just feeling badly. I would most definately buy this album again even if it cost me something more than it. It's totally worth everything you put into it.

rcmeyers
    I love this CD and I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a duplicate. I can't wait Till vena Sierra Comes out on April 3rd!!
    toolfan_121
    corhyno
    toolfan_121 wrote: whoever said that pete used baritones, I think you are wrong. baritones are made to sound like a 7 string without the first string. I think he just slapped some heavier strings on a regular guitar, like 12's or 13's. that's what I did. This is a good album. I think I like Vena Sera more.
    arrestingautumn
    Vena Sera is in my opinion the best Chevelle album to date. Notable tracks are Antisaint and Paint The Seconds.
    toolfan_121
    corhyno wrote: Actually Pete has stated in interviews that he used a single baritone guitar for the entire album and he was quite proud of it.
    oh, I didn't know that. I assumed baritones were for even lower tunings. I guess I'm kinda ignorant. but if you want to play as low as chevelle, but don't want to spend the money on a baritone, just use thicker strings. way cheaper.
    Ingsoc
    In reference to "This Type of Thinking is flatly mixed, lost in depression, and obsessed with rewriting "Sober" for a new generation of lank-haired misunderstoods.", if you could recreate Sober 11 timea and it sound this good, I really don't give a good God damn. It's very easy to sum something up and try to diminish it's meaning to nothing by lumping it up into one stupidly though up little slogan. Tool and Chevelle aare two amazingly unique and thoughful bands.
    castoo
    ing, i have no clue who puts it up there, but its not the reviewer, i laffed at the lank part part lol
    smiega14l
    personally i love chevelle they have a great sound and can be mello who does not love "panic prone?" its an awsome song i had to get all of there songs.
    inflamedpersona
    Pete has custom-made PRS 22's and 24's to handle 12- and 13-gauge strings, which support the Drop A# he debuts on this album (anyone who's tried playing that low with anything lighter than 12-gauge strings will know exactly why he does, too). Technically they aren't baritones; they're just a little heavier-duty to handle the additional tension. Adding thicker strings to a normal guitar will accomplish a similar sound; I've even heard of people stringing their electrics with acoustic strings to handle Drop A# and beyond. Probably the main reason it might sound like a baritone is because Joe's bass is tuned accordingly; try getting The Clincher to sound right in the opening breakdown -- without a bass accompaniment -- and you'll know what I mean.