Vena Sera review by Chevelle

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Chevelle: Vena Sera

For those who loved the first albums, prepare yourself. I put it in, and was almost disappointed at first, it just didn't have the same sound as Chevelle's previous efforts. Yet, the more I listened to it, the more I loved it. The sound is different, it's less melodic, heavier, and more harmony. They flirt with punk, yet remain in a league all their own as far as sound. The harmonies and different vocal styles along with the different and more hardcore and driven guitar riffs leaves me desiring more and more. I love the sound, it's my favorite of their albums.

The lyrics are much less cryptic in this album. The other ones were all metaphors, and while this isn't completely gone, there are a lot more songs, for example "I get it." which are straight to the point and are almost a direct social commentary on life and dealing with people. The vocals are more spread around in this album, with harmonies and not just the lead voice. I love his voice though, it's very distinct, and his range and transitions between screaming and singing are amazing, just as in the previous albums. Some words to seem slurred though (outside of the screaming) and I had to look up some of the lyrics to sing along. Still, classic chevelle with a more direct range and some awesome harmonies.

I love this album. IT's by far my favorite of theirs, and quite possibly my favorite of all time. The lyrics and guitar aggressive, flirting with punk but falling just short of that which is a great place to be in my opinion. It's very different from the rest of their stuff though. The best part is, unlike their previous albums, there really are not stand out albums. I've listened straight through this album at least 15 times and it won't be leaving my player anytime soon. There isn't any track like, "The Red" on this one that steals the spotlight, but there also aren't any I can bring myself to skip. I'd replace this album in a heartbeat. It's amazing.