Vena Sera review by Chevelle

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Chevelle: Vena Sera

When he said they sound vintage with balls, it's true. I think that this CD sounds almost as if it should have come before This type of thinking. This CD took me a listen to get used to, because I was expecting more of an adaption of this TTOT, with more of the songs sounding like Well Enough Alone The drums and guitar are still great, but there's one more thing that shines on the cd, the bass guitar. it has a much larger presence in the songs than the older Chevelle did. If you're looking for hard Chevelle, this is the right CD to listen to. Check out Humanoid, it's one of my favorites.

The lyrics are very much the usual Chevelle. The lyrics have to be thought about, and many different meanings can be deduced from just one song. My personal favorites are Humanoid, Saturdays, and Saferwaters, with Saferwaters being my favorite lyrically. His singing has changed, maybe for the better, but I sure miss the old style like TTOT. Without another singer, his voice is layered, and I wonder how well it will work in concert. I'll see on the 12, I'm seeing them at the agora, and I'll leave a comment in here. He has cut down screaming, and expanded his singing, especially in the higher ranges. In a few of the songs, he carries a voice that sounds almost as if it were stolen from Maynard when he was making something for a perfect circle. Overall, amazing, and singable. For someone like me, this CD is much easier to sing if I want to cover it in my band, because of the decrease in screaming.

Well, I bought the CD the day it came out, and the next day I found it had two bonus tracks at bestbuy. I was quite pissed, so I went and bought it. It's pretty hard to pick the best songs from the album, as they are all great, but right now my favorite seems to be Saferwaters. I love the new sound. The one thing I hated was the bonus songs only at bestbuy, and there is also one on itunes. Well, if it was stolen, I'd go buy another copy at bestbuy to get the extra songs, hunt down the person that stole it, and shove the one from target down their throat. Go check out this CD, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.