Vena Sera review by Chevelle

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Chevelle: Vena Sera

The sound is a little different from Chevelle's previous efforts. I have been a long time fan of chevelle, and I have to say, the boys sound tighter than ever on this record. The departure of old bassist Joe, and the addition of Dean on bass, may have something to do with it. The band themselves said that a lot of the problems they were having have been resolved and they had a good time recording the record. It shows. Pete himself said that he wanted to do more singing and less screaming, to try and explore the upper registries of his voice. There is still a little screaming, and by the way, his scream is the coolest I've ever heard in my opinion. The intro of Well Enough Alone shows this. The guitars are still detuned, and the riffs are angry, but the songs are now more upbeat, and you just get a cool feel while listening to the record. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it is really cool. I would say this is the best sound they have ever had.

The lyrics are really cool. They fit the music perfectly, and Pete's voice is awesome. One of my favorite singers. His screams are less abundant than in the past, but they are still cool. One of my favorite songs, is SaferWaters. It's about a man who is fed up with society and wants to crawl back to sea, and the origins of man. The lyrics are geniously written, and on top of that catchy. The first time I heard it, I was humming it all day. I also got an image of an ocean in my mind, which was probably the intent. All the lyrics are well written, and pete's voice is amazing, as I've already stated. You can just literally feel his emotion. There are moments when the music and lyrics fit so perfectly, I actually get chills. One example is the break in Brainiac. I would describe that as soaring. These are the best lyrics I have ever heard from Chevelle.

This is probably my favorite Chevelle album. They try some new things and the results are favorable. Some of the best songs are Antisaint, Brainiac, SaferWaters, Well Enough Alone, The Fad, and others. Really, there isn't a poor track on the whole album. I like how pete sings more, I do kinda miss the screams, but they're still there, and that would make it more accessible or whatever, to more people. The new bassist, Dean, is a good bass player, and you can hear the bass in more songs now. Sam is a gread drum player, and holds the guys together. This is an awesome album. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy another copy. This album actually convinced me to get heavier strings for my guitar so I could write lower tuned riffs like them. Flat out awesome.