Vena Sera review by Chevelle

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Chevelle: Vena Sera

Well after the big smash, Wonder What's Next, chevelle get into a rock scene where is hard to keep the step, but anyways, the second major release helped Chevelle to keep the spot where they are right now, but with this third album "Vena Sera," they define and set themselves has a very mature band, and they are carving out a sound that will help you to identify them immediately, they got deep into the sound they gave in "The Type Of Thinking". The opening track "Antisaint" grabs you to never release you until the final track. The awesome guitar sound of Pete, appears once again here in the album and the drums offer an excellent sound and rhythms, including the double bass that lately is helping the songs to have another style. "Straight Jacket Fashion" And "Humanoid" are the tracks that were played in shows with Nickelback, and Evanescence, and they sound awesome live, without all the studio arranges, so now in the album the songs are pretty awesome. The style of "Straight Jacket Fashion" it's great, and don't mention the double bass in this track, I have no words. to play awesome you don't need to play as faster as you can, it's just the style and how you play it, and it's what Sam got. and well the First Single "Well Enough Alone", it really captivates yo, with the chorus style that they have been using in tracks like "The Red", "Closure" And "Breach Birth" to name a few. The "Safewaters" track features a kind of bridge that I never imagined on chevelle, it's very good, and also a great sound on "The Fad", this track keeps what the roots of the band are. Chevelle delivers a great sound, and there's no doubt.

About the lyrics, Pete did it again, he has an awesome ability to write songs, he doesn't need love or drama themes to make the song sound great. He sings in a way that makes you believe every line of the song. I don't have much to say about the lyrics, just they are quite ok for this album.

I see a change in Chevelle, and I don't know if the change of the bass player had influenced on it. But I have nothing against it, the sound it's really great for their third major release. This sound fits exactly in Concert Halls, and why not Late Shows and NHL games? I recommend this album, of course, for every fan of Chevelle, also to the first metal listeners that are looking for something not too heavy and people that could be looking for something fresh. Here is the third major release of this Chicago's trio. Don't miss the chance to own this great album. really it's worthy for buying.

electric7
    1st comment: I thought that this wasn't their best album at first, but it really grew on me. I love mainly everything on the album, but so far I love "Straight Jacket Fashion" and "The Fad". go Chevelle!
    Chevelle454
    Dude, i saw them in concert this week in cleveland, by far the best concert i've ever seen, and they throw crazy shit in the crowd. you guys might get a laugh from the drummers bass drum
    cmart227
    seventh_figure
    mitchwatters19 wrote: sadSTATUE : Maybe I'm weird, but I loved it on first listen. Favorites include: The Fad, Straight Jacket Fashion Antisaint, Humanoid, Paint the Seconds, and In Debt to Earth. I love Chavelle, what can I say? in debt to earth is not a song
    actually, in debt to earth is a song. itunes bonus track. stoop.
    woot
    i read on their website that Joe left the band for family reasons
    shaun77
    Most of the reviews failed to mention the bonus tracks! That makes the CD worth buying in itself. At least if you buy it at Best Buy. Sleep Walking Elite is a great song.
    cmart227
    yea for people who reviewed this and think that it sounds like "chevelle" still, have obviously never listened to many chevelle cd's...this cd is completely different, but i still think it is my favorite cd that they have ever put out...oh and "I Get It" is probably my favorite on it
    Xecks13
    The Fad, Straight Jacket Fashion, Saturdays, I Get It, In Debt to Earth are my favorites! I love this CD...i bought it right before i went on vacation for a week and it was all i needed the whole time =]
    gilmour-page
    i agree with corhyno and gakusey, this album just seems hollow compared to their previous ones...it's a solid rock album but it's easily forgettable also, the guitar parts just seem to blend together too much
    nedavis
    The guitar work is great, but I honestly think the songs themselves blow (the writing). Chevelle IMO is all about simple, catchy, and evil riffs that stick with you. I think of Prove To You, The Red, WWN, Forfeit when I'm listening to Chevelle. If I want intricate, deep songs I'll listen to somebody else. Right now I see them marketing towards an audience that will make them dough but not support their talents as a Chicago rock band. Brainiac and Antisaint show some signs of life, but I really don't find much else on this album that will stick. They've still got what it takes to rock the F out - they just need to revamp who their target audience is.
    sadSTATUE
    mitchwatters19 wrote: sadSTATUE : Maybe I'm weird, but I loved it on first listen. Favorites include: The Fad, Straight Jacket Fashion Antisaint, Humanoid, Paint the Seconds, and In Debt to Earth. I love Chevelle, what can I say? in debt to earth is not a song
    yeah it is, actually. it's an iTunes bonus track.
    AWilhelmScream
    interesting that on 'ultimate guitar' there is relativly little review of the guitar. Isn't that why most people log onto this site in the first place?
    Nick1814
    Some people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to music. How can you possibly say that point#1 is better than Vena Sera? I guess its just peoples opinions...
    Covin
    It's really mediocre after their previous 3 albums. I think they got worse with each one, not that the first 3 are bad. This one though....just doesn't hold water.
    Paroxysm
    Well, it's kind of better than TTOT but not as good as WWN. Pt. 1 is something I would never want to listen to again lol! I like it. VS have songs like I Get It and The Fad that were different than what they normally do.
    cointurtlemoose
    First impression - meh. Nothing really worth listening too After getting a little more used to it - Different, but somewhat refreshing in contrast to their old stuff. I'm liking it.
    mitchwatters19
    in debt to earth is not a song
    Joe Welsh
    ive always thought he sounded like tool's lead singer, i havent listened to the whole thing yet, but this album is alright so far
    Deiru
    thrash_bassist wrote: Chevelles latest CD Vena Sera is a milestone of sorts for the band, marking the first release since bassist Joe Loeffler was kicked out of the band by bandmates (and brothers) Pete and Sam Loeffler. ... wow that kinda sucks...never paid to much attention to them before. But the Cd is really good. 4/5
    He wasn't kicked out, a lot of people thought that. You apparently were the one that took Joe's side because he's the one that said that. Band members Pete and Sam have said that he left willingly, and that they just supported it. The CD is better, imo, than TTOTCDUI, WWN, and Point #1, though I never really liked Point #1. I can relate better to the lyrics this round, and the sound is more melodic than harmonic. Where these people learn these terms are beyond me!
    metalbassist12 wrote: From what I've heard the bassist, Joe, never really had that great a relatioship with his brothers and everyone knew that he was gonna leave it was just a matter of when. Also I heard that Joe left them, not that his brothers kicked him out, though they did kinda tell him to leave. Just read this: Found on wikipedia.org: In June of 2005 Chevelle announced that Joe was leaving the band "due to irreconcilable differences." According to Pete and Sam, Joe didn't care too much for the constant pressure that comes with touring. Sam said: "It's not a secret to anyone in the industry or any fans that ever talked to him that he hated traveling. That was the biggest player in our decision. It was kind of a mutual decision, but it kind of wasn't, because he didn't want to do it, but he also didn't want to quit, and we were just kind of like, 'If you don't want to do it, you can't do it, because it's affecting us.'" So Pete and Sam felt that it would be for the best if Joe would "take a break to be home with family."
    THANK YOU!
    sadSTATUE
    metalbassist12
    ohmerrymayhem
    [quote]Brainiac is one of the weaker tracks on Vena Sera, due in part to the repetitive aspects of both the vocal and guitar work. What? That's probably the best and most Chevelle song on there aside from Straight Jacket Fashion. It's a good cd, but This Type Of Thinking was probably the best.I still dig this one more than Wonder What's Next, though. Took a while to get into. On the first listen I wasn't impressed, but it grows on you.
    nedavis
    Everything about the band is still good as far as musicianship goes, but the writing sucks! brainiac is the only song that caught my ear and that is because of it's great hook. I really don't like the direction the band is turning (I've been a fan since Point #1) and think this is their weakest to date. You can't split up a band of brothers and expect to stay tight! Impossible to replicate that bond.
    jen3113
    i like the album. theyve had better albums but i have no regrets about buying it. it just takes awhile to get use to but once you do its a pretty decent album.
    claudman
    i liked all their other stuff but i didnt know that they kicked out joe. thats gonna be an awkward family reunion.
    MAXPAYNE4664
    Whoa...didnt know all three of them were brothers. I never really got into them, just knew a few songs.
    thrash_bassist
    Lonelyvampyre
    cmart227 wrote: yea i also heard that the new bass player is the guy that used to play in filter...is that true anyone?
    Nah, the bassist is Sam and Pete's half brother, Dean Bernardini. Youre thinking of Geno Lenardo who subbed in for Joe on tour for abit after he left the band. Also, I agree with whoever said that they were abit dissapointed with Sam's drumming. I liked his drumming better on This Type of Thinking as well. I almost liked Straight Jacket Fashion. But...oh well... Oh and I think Dean is a great addition. I thought Joe was good, but Dean is definitely better. IMO the best songs are Saferwaters, Antisaint, The Fad, Paint the Seconds, and Humanoid. Well Enough Alone is good too and was probably the smartest choice for a single since its so damn catchy. Id have to say the next single should definitely be The Fad. And the third either Saferwaters or Humanoid.