Chickenfoot review by Chickenfoot

• Released: Jun 9, 2009
Chickenfoot: Chickenfoot

Where to start. This band has a sound that I havn't heard a lot of in recent music. It would have to be classed as classic rock but on this album there really is something for everyone. This album really all started with Sammy Hagar in the Cabo Wabo Cantina, in his annual birthday bash at which Chad Smith (RHCP Drummer) jumped up on the drums and so this legendary band was formed. Looking over the record its hard to find any real innovations in music, what they seem to have done is go right back to basics, writing about real things, with real recording, to create an epic record. The reunion of Hagar and Anthony really brings back that old Van Halen vocal sounds which is sounding better than ever before with the incredible range of sounds 'Smokin' Joe Satriani can pull. Satriani has really pushed himself in this record I think, playing effectively a backing role, contrary to recent years, supporting the band and the songs as a whole whilst still showing that he is one of the most talented guitarists around today. As an example Learning to fall has one note, which I think you will agree when you hear it, is like hearing the whole meaning of the song thrown into one note. Don't worry, you'll know it when you hear it! Soap on a rope is another track with truly exceptional guitar. It starts off with the rhythm which is held throughout the song, has the perfect fill in every little break, plays chords through the chorus, but even manages to make that sound impressive, and finishes with one of the most incredible solos I have ever heard him play. Chad Smith and Michael Anthony really seem to have gelled well in this band to provide a truly exceptional rhythm section. I'm not a bassist and I'm not a drummer but its indisputable that these are 2 extremely skilled musicians. Both play their roles exactly as I feel they should, but in the same way as Satch they still manage to get their own little moments and really show how fantastic they are. The 2 of them really do complete the band and make the whole thing feel like its been together for years rather than the few months that is the truth. This record sounds like 4 guys having a great time, doing what they love to do, and has some of the greatest tracks I've heard out of any of the artists in this group. A truly exceptional record with huge variations between songs but still a sound that just doesn't seem to get old!

Sammy Hagar I really think is a lyrical genius. They aren't complicated, they just do the job and make for a great track. In interviews Hagar has talked about how he has written each song about something specific, and I think it shows in the solid and definite sound to the vocals in every track The lyrics on tracks like Avendia Revolucion show a darker side to the largely feel-good singer whereas Learning To Fall shows another side again. My Kinda Girl to me sounds like a song written for exactly what the song is about. Everything fits with this record.

This album is just stunning. I can't recommend it highly enough to fans of each member previously but also to anyone who is just out to kick back and enjoy a great rock record. Learning to Fall is a fantastic laid back love song, whilst Turning Left (described by Hagar as the song you are most likely to get a speeding ticket to) pounds away with the feeling that they mean every word and note. Future in the Past is probably my favourite track on the record, starting with a great little relaxed intro, breaking into a funky main section of the song, and finishing with Hagar's only guitar contribution to the record, providing the backing for yet another epic Satriani Solo. I can't fault a single thing on this record, and I'm just sat here hoping there will be more albums to come. Long live the Foot!