Chickenfoot review by Chickenfoot

• Released: Jun 9, 2009
Chickenfoot: Chickenfoot

The infamous Chickenfoot finally puts out their CD. By now all of the hype has probably hit you in the face so many times you're getting bruised from it. Well I'm here now to let you know that some of those hits in the face are ones that this band earned. I was constantly reminded that this band of old men are putting out an album soon at Best Buy via advertizements all over the place, and one night I saw them on the Tonight Show and finally broke and said "Who the hell are these guys?" Well it turns out those guys are the fairly impressive lineup of Sammy Hagar (ex-Van Halen vocalist), Joe Satriani (world renowned guitar guru), Mike Anthony (ex-Van Halen bassist) and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer). The lineup sounds impressive, especially if youre a Satriani diehard or a Van Halen fan and I feel that they hold up fairly well against the expectations out of them. Hagar himself described the new band as something that takes a lot of pages out of Zeppelin's book. He certainly didn't lie. The band is best described (in my oppinion) as a mash-up of Led Zeppelin, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Montrose (Hagar's old band) and Van Halen. The music is definitely guitar driven with good vocals on top(especially considering Hagar is 61 years old). If only Robert Plant sounded that good, and Plant is a year younger than Hagar. Joe Satriani is a guy who can "out-Van Halen" Van Halen, and shines in every aspect of his trade. He writes some catchy riffs, does some really great solos and seemed to nail everything production wise. The album sounds a bit gritty, but it is in a classic rock style so its forgiveable. A bit nostalgiac, even. The bass and drums however as I hear them aren't really anything to write home about. They sound like Zeppelin or any random 70's or 80's band you can think of. They get the job done. Reguardless of generic drumming and zombie bass playing, the music is definitely catchy. The songs themselfs are a little long for radio in some cases (a lot around 6 or 7 minutes) and give you the feeling that Chickenfoot is really just a jam band with lyrics written over the sessions they had.'m here now to let you know that some of those hits in the face are ones that this band earned. I was constantly reminded that this band of old men are putting out an album soon at Best Buy via advertizements all over the place, and one night I saw them on the Tonight Show and finally broke and said "Who the hell are these guys?"

The lyrics are that of... again... a traditional 1980's band. As much as I hate to say it, they're bland. The lyrics are probably the bands weak point. Hagar does a great job singing and that is pretty much the only reason they don't sound totally dumb when listening to them. But if you listen really close or read the lyrics, it makes me wonder how much time they really spent on them. And that kind of ties into my whole "Jam Band" theory of them basically playing some music in the studio, seeing what felt good then writing lyrics on top. I'm sure it didn't really go down like that, but that's the feel you get from it. The lyrics aren't incompetant, but they're uninspiring. I'm hoping their next album will fix that. I'm always in the mood for a good concept album, or some lyrics about the behavior of the author. (Keep doing what you're doing Tool & Mastodon.)

As I mentioned before, different favorite rock bands of the 70's and 80's and a tiny bit of 90's can be heard throughout the album. But, it's not really a copycat band because they blend it nicely. The only lackluster song I really found was their single 'Oh Yeah'. Nothing says "I want to be like Quiet Riot/Twisted Sister/ACDC" like repetetive lyrics about absolutely nothing. And don't get me wrong, I like those bands in their own way, but they're called Classic Rock because it's something that's been left in the past. I find that a lot of todays bands have evolved the lyrics to be more than just sentences that rhyme. The lyrics "Don't forget to bring your rockin' shoes" or maybe even "Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah" hang in my head just like "I wanna rock, ROCK. I wanna rock, ROCK. I want-to-rock, ROCK." Let's move on, shall we? Other songs like 'Down The Drain' aren't too bad and are a little bit smarter. But lyrical issues asside, I actually love the songs 'Soap on a Rope' and 'Down The Drain'. I'm the kind of person where guitar alone can do it for me (one of the main reasons I'm registered to this website). The vocals help a lot too because it seems like an extension of older bands that I had wished made more material. I love the gritty production, most of the guitar and vocal work itself, but I'm just not a huge fan of the lyrics. I think with some more time spent on the next album (yes I am hoping for a new one) they can fix that issue. If this album were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy another one considering it only cost $12 from BestBuy. Well worth the price in my oppinion. So if you guys are into some really good composition with a classic feel, inspired guitar solos with some vintage vocals; Chickenfoot is for you.

BenRaah
    Heard mixed reviews about this album, I've yet to listen to the whole thing though
    TheGuessWhom
    Of COURSE they're doing this for the money. That's how capitalism works.
    EVHtremontiSRV
    I just dont understand why everyone's making such a big deal about the lyrics being too simple, every song sammy has ever written has simple lyrics, it's nothing new. Chickenfoot isn't trying to been anything revolutionary or even trying to be the best around. They are just a group of musicians that enjoy making music together and have fun doing it which shows through their music
    rocknrollstar
    Terrible lyrics. I mean I can deal with lyrics that dont make sense (alot of RHCP) but these lyrics are just dam right cheesy and horrible. Reeking of 80s Whitesnake lyrics. Despite the vocals and lyrics and the bass being quite low in the mix, I'd say they were pretty tight as a band.
    Zebadee
    Having just listened to the record i must say i expected better.. What a mire of shite it was infact.. had to switch it off after track 7
    dgme92
    They're decent. No more, no less. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed, because Satch can do so much better. However, I still like some of the songs. I'm having mixed feelings about the whole thing. :S
    pak1351
    Bonzo's drumming is not generic or boring, Don't compare it to any random 70's or 80's band either. You can compare Chad Smith to them all you want, but Bonzo's in a different league
    davis_kiel
    Got this cd last week, must have listend to it about 15 times, really good, can't wait to see them in 2 weeks in Holland!!
    Genocide_Junky
    i expected too much, like always supergroups aren't that awesome, but it is a good rock cd though
    mastaofrocknrol
    TheGuessWhom wrote: Zeppelin comparisons? Blues and funk reinterpretations? Listen to them first on Conan:
    Just terrible. There are drummers who could play those Chad Smith rhythms during their sleep. With lacklustre drums you may hope that you can turn to the bassist, but he has nothing better to offer. Anthony's bass is really hard to hear, but it basically sounds like he's playing the most simplistic backup riff ever merely to accommodate Satch's ridiculous metal guitar assaults. Satch's neck acrobatics in themselves, to add further problems, do not sound good (and have no real musical coherence) when combined with Hagar's generally meaningless, pedantic and overly repetitive raspy lyrics. In addition to all of that is their rhythmic transitions, which sound very awkward and forced throughout. And the backing lyrics? The non-Hagars sound like their balls haven't quite dropped yet. I like Satch's playing but Chickenfoot just does not mesh well with his particular style. The other three are all pretty terrible. Zeppelin had four members that played well together, which isn't even to mention the massive variety of musical genres they fused together throughout their 10 year career. And this made me laugh: These guys don't have to do this for money, they're just having fun and rockin out. Of COURSE they're doing this for the money. That's how capitalism works.
    I have to say that they sound much better live, even thought the lyrics are still meh
    UnaLaguna
    TheGuessWhom wrote: And this made me laugh: These guys don't have to do this for money, they're just having fun and rockin out. Of COURSE they're doing this for the money. That's how capitalism works.
    That made me laugh harder.
    Slaytan666
    You think there would be a link. I haven't heard these guys yet, but they already annoy me 'cause of the hype. 'Holy shit, it's Satch...' I'll reserve judgement 'till I've actually heard it, but I don't have high hopes.
    acetherockstar
    I love the music in this album, but I agree with the reviewers the lyrics are a little bland or boring. "Soap on a Roap" and "Down The Drain" are my favorites, they have some really cool riffs and the vocals aren't bad. Other than those songs none of their tracks are that incredible A bit of a disappointment but still worth the money because of satch and his riffs
    Scathing
    Scathing wrote: Very good album. Not perfect but I liked it. It just can't be bad when Joe Satriani plays the guitar.
    Dimebag Dave
    It sounds a bit cheesy to me. Each of the member's main group/Satriani's solo work, for which they're known for, are far superior in my opinion. I expected as much from a side project, though.
    Hawaiiguy
    I'm majorly disappointed. I'm one of Satch's biggest fans, but I can't say any of the songs really catch me. I saw them do "Oh Yeah" on the Tonight Show and wanted to curl up and crawl into the leather. It was horrible, something I didn't expect from this collection of uber-talented musicians. There is a huge void in this band, something vital is missing...Sadly, sometimes a band is NOT the sum of its parts. I will buy all of Satch's albums that come out. I can't say the same for Chickenfoot.
    thedekker
    great album, my only question is...how did they decide which song to call "Oh Yeah!"??? he's screamin "oh yeah!!" every 2 seconds in every song its great
    waysay
    I like what i've heard so far, sounds like back yard BBQ music, with beer and joints.
    rockindaddy5150
    I'm glad it isn't over-produced. These guys don't have to do this for money, they're just having fun and rockin out. Joe's work on this I would call "Understated Brilliance" and Sammy sounds great for all the years he's been doing this.
    G&L18
    I thought it was okay, sammy's lyrics were what i expected, but i was hoping that satriani and smith would cut loose a little more. It seemed like they were holding back. You'd have you be deaf to not know that joes a killer guitarist, and anyone who's seen the chili peppers live knows that chad can drum up a funky storm. Maybe their concerts will have more instrumental stuff.
    SilverStratocas
    Absolutely cannot get into these guys at all... working at the place in which they premiered only led to me being completely sick of them and the insane supergroup publicity. Same reason why I have a well-incubated hate for Chinese Democracy.
    mastaofrocknrol
    Metalmangini wrote: with a name that stupid i just cant get into them
    Nothing wrong with the name: Chickenfoot....sounds okay to me
    spyder52
    I've listened to the whole album, I would give it 10... You don't get killer stuff like this everyday, these guys need some applause. This album could even rival AC/DC's Black Ice
    NaivexLi
    It is a good album, although like many I have to admit I was very dissapointed with it. Iit's a solid album....but coming from these guys it left alot to be desired.
    iceh88
    i actually have liked the whole album and a couple songs have grown on me and got into my rotation of listening everyday.
    Scathing
    Very good album. Not perfect but I liked it. It just can't be bad when Joe Satriani playing the guitar.
    chipmunksurfer
    the vocals/lyrics sucked. songwriting isnt great either. of course the drums sound sick with chad smith, but satch's music turned out a lot worse than i expected. WAAYYY overhyped
    GN'Rocks
    for everyone saying its dull, its not dull, its just not what you were expecting, and i dont know why they classify it as heavy metal or metal, cause its not. most of the songs do have pretty weak and simple lyrics, but the sound is good. it wasnt as good as i was expecting but i was expecting kind of alot lol. definitely should not be compared to zeppelin in anyway though. its blues rock. but the lyrics of some of the weaker songs could possbly be compared to country lyrics, like sexy little thing. yeh that could definitely have been a country song title. but overall good sound and afterall its a bunch of old rock and roll veterans having fun and thats all that should matter.
    stratmaster15
    CroneR wrote: chickenfoot is a band for middle aged men to listen to and try relive the old days. its a bunch of recycled acdc riffs and terrible vocals. and every member of the band is a washup.
    You consider Satch a washup? Maybe I have the wrong definition of that word....
    sven_svensk
    Didn't like them that much at first actually, but the flawless production and guitar sound kept me interested, now i can listen to them on a regular basis.
    SLCONKL
    i just recently seen chickenfoot in tulsa,ok at the brady theater and what an awesome concert!!!
    smunger
    Just saw Chickenfoot at Lake Tahoe last Saturday. Phenomenal show, suprisingly good sound setup for a parking lot converted to an amphitheater. The "Foot" was really tight...plenty of gigs under the belt by this time. Thoughts: based on the demographics, there may be something to the "Dad Rock" comment... you should have seem some of the circus characters at this show, but I'm 48w ith three kids 18 - 24 and consider myself fairly progessive music-wise and a decent player (love my Ibanez JS!!) and I thought they were great. Nothing really like this sound coming out these days and as much as I love listening to Foo Fighters and Nickelback, it was a nice change to hear this album. Sammy is obviously way past his prime (by 10-15 years), but he gives it his best shot. Dissapointed with the Sammy-Michael harmonies ...not like the VH days, at least live. They were probably were a bit wore out by now from the tour. Satch was amazing as ever, I was suprised how well he fit in with an actual band. I swear I cannot remember him ever making a mistake at a gig....he is truly an incredible musician. These guys are not going to make a significant mark on music history by any stretch of the means...for sure ....and yes the Zeppelin references are a bit much, but does anyone really blelieve there is going to be another Zep? Stones, Who, Rush, Metallica? Probably not the way the industry is going these days..just another time..Dad rock time !! Side Note: nice surprise seeing Davy Knowles for the first time as the opening act...kid has SKILLS and a fellow PRS player (McCarty Smokeburst). Need to pick up his CDs soon. Long live the "Foot"
    FloyDZeD
    Personally, I rate this album about a 7.5/10. It's straight up rock 'n' roll; if you look at a lot of lyrics in classic rock songs they aren't really that great. Also, you can't expect supergroups to create music that changes the whole world. They're just a bunch of guys getting together and having fun writing music.
    Lil Macker
    Hmm... I gave it a listen, after seeing them playing Oh Yeah live and thought that it was really good. On the album, it really wasn't. I don't think Satch's playing here (well on the solos anyway, the backing guitar was really good) really fitted in well. They really could have put a bit more effort in the lyrics in there as well, they're quite rubbish.
    SupersonicJSX
    Im glad his album came out. It beats the hell out of any mainstream band today. All of these guys have a lot of talent which was displayed earlier in their careers, and they havent really slowed down one bit. Its just a bunch of guys having fun playing music they like, and I admire that. They also put on one hell of a show. Saw them at the Filmore in Detroit last night.
    shinnanigan
    Chad smith and satch make this album great, ans as much as you people seem not to like hagar's voice, personnaly i find it to fit really well into the band. admittedly the lyrics are a bit lame, but really they're all just trying to have a good time and play some good, high energy music.
    Pantallica17
    Hagar definitely let them down with the lyrics. I find it impossible to a whole song without listen to how dumb the lyrics sound. There outdated and stupid, i can't find any depth in them, they just ruin the songs. The rest sounds pretty good, i have the feeling they would be better off without Sammy.
    Speedstreamer
    I bought this album today, and I'm still picking apart each song. So far, the music is very solid, and Hagar sounds great. The lyrics could use work, but that's what a second album is for. It's good, solid rock that's fun to listen to, and is very fresh-sounding. 8/10
    98Timberwolf
    Dreamtheater,SG wrote: It's 100% Classic Rock and sure the lyrics are a bit cliche :p but Van Halen, David Lee Roth, Whitesnake... they didn't have filosofical lyrics as well, it's just the ambiance that needs to be there, the chemistry, and for me personally Chickenfoot made my year so far. A return to classic rock. Of course metalcore guys, Led-fans ( for Sammy's drunken statement)and many others might not enjoy the album that much, but hey that's musical taste for you. And to that communist sayin' that they do it for the money: it's not because they sell an album that they're capitalists, they're all swimmin' in it. The're just havin' a good time together and it shows.
    Yep this guy is right. I think what happened here is some of the people who listen to Satch's solo work kind of expected the music to be more complex overall, not just the guitar. The thing is, this is a whole new band, doing a different thing (at least Chad and Joe are). The point is, if you don't enjoy straight-up classic rock, you probably won't like this.
    Ricky4635
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Bass of Grunge wrote: It's meaningless dad-rock. No depth at all. +1
    benrochlin
    woah this whole list of comments really is everyone picking their favourite member and saying they are great. Full credit to those of you who actually commented on the music rather than the people O_o Personally i love the album. If you want something with deep meaning yeh go find something else, this is just laid back rock, does the job a treat with some talent thrown in.
    Bryce98
    This band is sic! They sound sort of like blues-metal. I think that if you like AC/DC then you should definitely try Chickenfoot.
    moneil5150
    Hey everybody, like many of those who gave mediocre reviews of this album, I too thought this was a disappointment at first listen. However, I chose to sit and listen to it for a second time and I felt it grow on me. My guess is that I will enjoy it each more with every listen. I have listened to music for the first time which I thought mediocre in the past and after hearing it a few times found it was really good stuff to listen to. My guess with this is it will grow on the fans and be pretty popular. Though I wasn't impressed with the first listen, I thought that this would sound spectacular live and low and behold I read what one of the critics wrote and found that he said the same thing. For all of you who think this album sucks give it another listen, when you are ready. I think with each listen you will find it more impressive than you thought after the first.
    Dreamtheater,SG