Chickenfoot review by Chickenfoot

• Released: Jun 9, 2009
Chickenfoot: Chickenfoot

Chickenfoot are a 21st century rock supergroup, consisting of Sammy Hagar (Montrose/Van Halen/his self-titled solo career) on vocals, Michael Anthony (Van Halen) on bass guitar, Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) on drums and guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani, who I shouldn't really have to say anything about, because he is Joe Satriani and that is that, playing lead guitar. If anyone is still reading this review, chances are you think that sounds awesome. Well, I have to say it's not as good as I had hoped, being a fan of every member of Chickenfoot and all of their respective bands, but it is what it is and feels like it could easily have been recorded in the 1980s.

Important things: First off, Sammy Hagar oddly doesn't seem to have lost any of his vocal strength in what I'm thinking has been forty years, so, if the main reason you were interested in this band was him, you aren't going to be disappointed in the slightest. The lyrics, however, are nowhere near as spectacular as the voice that sings them. This is alright though, because let's face it, no band fronted by The Red Rocker is ever going to try solving all of life's mysteries. Satriani plays some fun riffs, but there is nothing to indicate that no one else could be playing the exact same thing. Mike Anthony and Chad Smith get a big "ditto" on their playing.

Sadly, it seems, to me at least, that Sammy Hagar just wanted to get a lot more attention, so he got a bunch of really talented big name musicians to be his new backing group. Well it worked, this was probably the most overhyped, underwhelming album I've ever heard, but at the same time it's fun. You can't deny that you miss the pre-grunge days (if you were alive then - I wasn't) or at the very least, this album is catchy, in a good way, but it all boils down to a simple question: when David Lee Roth left VH, he got Steve Vai and other popular musicians to be his backing band - and what was the name of the artist who did "Eat Em and Smile"? David Lee Roth. With that in mind, I state that Chickenfoot's self-titled debut album does not sound different enough from Sammy Hagar's solo career to be called anything other than a solo Hagar release, but it's still worth five bucks, just based on the fact that it's decent: neither bloody amazing, nor vomit-inducingly bad. It is what it is.