Chickenfoot III review by Chickenfoot

• Released: Sep 27, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Chickenfoot: Chickenfoot III

In 2009, the rock world got a kick in it's collective a-s by a Chickenfoot. Obviously, I am referring to the self-titled debut album by hard-rock supergroup Chickenfoot, made up of ex-Van Halen & Montrose vocalist Sammy Hagar, guitar god Joe Satriani, ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. Their debut album was one of my favorite albums of 2009. Now, in 2011, Chickenfoot has returned with their new album, "Chickenfoot III". For the record, I understand a huge element of the Foot are their humor, but I think the album title is kinda stupid. In many interviews, the band members said "CFIII" would be "much heavier" than their debut album. Let's just say I'm not hearing it. This album sounds like the first one in a lot of places. Also, many of these songs sound like a heavier version of the Chili Peppers with the grooves that songs such as "Up Next" and "Big Foot" possess. "CFIII" overall is actually a little dissappointing to me simply because the debut was so great that I fell victim to high expectations. The band still sounds good and rocks, but it just doesn't feel as consistent as the debut. "Chickenfoot III" isn't a bad album, but it's not great. The funny thing on "CFIII" is that the softer songs might be the best songs on here. Come Closer is a very good ballad with a very soul vibe to it. "Something Going Wrong" is a cool country-rock ballad that IMO garners best song honors on "Chickenfoot III". As expected, the songs I didn't mention so far in this section are usual Sammy, with sex and love dominating. As for the delivery of these lyrics, there is "Something Going Wrong" with Mr. Hagar's voice. On the first album, Sammy sounded like he still had that youthful fire and power. On "CFIII" though, Sammy sounds OLD. You can tell he's straining to deliver his once-powerful range. He sings softer in the ballads, and it works. But he doesn't have the lungs anymore to knock out the "rock" vocals on the heavier tracks consistently.

Alright, Alright, lyrics and singing are "Up Next" (like my use of "CFIII" song titles in that sentence?). As we all know, Sammy Hagar is in his sixties now. We also know that as rockstars get older they tend to write about politics and social themes more. Sammy does just that here. He hasn't ditched the sex and love lyrics of his past, he has just went in a different direction. "Up Next" has some very nice lyrics about going to Heaven et al (which is ironic considering "I'm Athiest", but that isn't the point). Three & A Half Letters isn't a true song at all. The "lyrics" are made up of letters Sammy received from soldiers that Sammy reads over a rocking groove. "Three & A Half Letters" is the worst track on "CFIII", but it isn't b/c of the words Sammy reads. It's b/c those words were placed on top of a heavy rock song, which makes it sound disjointed and unorganized. Moving on, "Something Going Wrong" has lyrics about the world today that are decent IMO. The hidden track, "No Change", has politically charged lyrics that I strongly like. As expected, the songs I didn't mention so far in this section are usual Sammy, with sex and love dominating. As for the delivery of these lyrics, there is "Something Going Wrong" with Mr. Hagar's voice. On the first album, Sammy sounded like he still had that youthful fire and power. On "CFIII" though, Sammy sounds OLD. You can tell he's straining to deliver his once-powerful range. He sings softer in the ballads, and it works. But he doesn't have the lungs anymore to knock out the "rock" vocals on the heavier tracks consistently.

Overall impression: Sophomore slump has kind of struck the mighty Chickenfoot. "CFIII" isn't bad, but it's a letdown compared to the first album. I'd replace it just because I love Chickenfoot, but I wouldn't run to the store instantly to replace it.

carl.schreffler
    This review is bullshit Sammy can still and always can sing I've seen SAMMY 10 DAMN TIMES NOT ONE DAMN BAD SHOW I JUST SAW CHICKENFOOT LAST YEAR AT HARD ROCK HERE IN LAS VEGAS ,You want to talk shit about Sammy's voice what are you a dumba$$ David Lee Roth fan ,I GOT A LITTLE SAYING FOR YOU IF YOU ARE NUMBERS DON'T F#$KEN LIE)Stick that in your pipe and smoke it punk every VAN HAGAR RELEASE ,RELEASE AT #1 NUMBERS DONT LIE AND David has never been a better song writer or singer than SAMMY ever never and never will be!!!!!