Are You Dead Yet? review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 19, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Children of Bodom: Are You Dead Yet?

This CD kinda let me down. Not enough for me to stop being the die-hard COBHC fan that I am, but I was somewhat dissapointed. Children Of Bodom's sound has always been based on a perfect mixture of death metal, power metal, black metal and thrash metal with symphonic attributes. But it seems to me that on some songs, the band focuses on too much of one of the styles. For instance "Punch Me I Bleed" seems to be more twords Death metal. It has a slower main riff and lots of pieces of the song that have just Alexi singing with only a drum beat playing behind him. Also on "Bastards Of Bodom" Their has an awquard pause after intro. (this might just be a flaw with my cd, a scratch or something) but the pause is very noticable. The solos are still good though, good and heavy, I could of asked for more keyboard solos though. And of course what everyone is wondering about: "Somebody put something in my drink." All I can say is awesome! The Ramones should be proud, they put a great metal spin on a kick ass punk song! I love it.

Lyrics are decent but I must agree with others, the lyrics are kinda nu-metal style. I have never been a nu-metal fan, but "hey" most of the time I can't understand Alexi anyway. Although the more I listen the the more I pick up.

Overall I was dissapointed. They built up this album to be so great and godlly over all the other albums I just had to get it! I mean something that could beat "Hatebreeder" or "Follow The Reaper"? It had to be awesome! I shouldn't of got my hopes up. It is still alright though, just not classic Bodom. Should you buy this album? Yes. But only if you have the other albums such as "Hatebreeder" and "Something Wild." These albums are normally harder to find, Most stores only carry "Hatecrew Death Roll," "Trashed, Lost And Strugout" and "Follow The Reaper" (my personal favorite album). If you can't find the other albums, Newbury Comics always has every album.