Are You Dead Yet? review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 19, 2005
Children of Bodom: Are You Dead Yet?

While I love how the album sounds, I feel almost the same way as I felt when Metallica released Load - like something amazing had been dumbed down so that all the "metal heads" who skip school and listen to KoRn, Trapt, and Limp Bizkit on their iPods would buy their CD. While this album is still miles above any nu-metal out there, it still wreaks of some mainstream/nu-metal stank that hadn't been present on any prior album.

Children Of Bodom have never been a band with amazing lyrics, instead Alexi usually chooses to be memorable in their delivery as opposed to their meaning. This album is no different.

Compared to most other artists, Children Of Bodom is light years ahead. Compared to themselves, they've fallen short this time. The title track has to be one of the best songs on the album, and, not so suprisingly, it is one of the closest to their old style. In many places the 64th note double bass seems forced, almost as if it's some cliche that has to be thrown in every song. If I lost this CD, I would most certainly buy it again. That goes for anything Children Of Bodom has ever released.