Are You Dead Yet? review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 19, 2005
Children of Bodom: Are You Dead Yet?

Children Of Bodom jumps back on to the scene with new rythym guitarist Roope Latvala and shredds it up in "Are You Dead Yet?" As most COB fans know each COB album has its own unique sound and "Are You Dead Yet?" doesn't dissapoint. They mantain the same heavy sound with the blazing fast solos by Alexi Laiho. One notable thing about this album is that in stead of having more solos Children of Bodom's Keyboardist Janne Warmen does more music that blends in with the guitar like on track number 5. "In Your Face." I'm not saying there are no keyboard solos though. There are a few but they do not occur as frequently in this album as they did in say "Follow The Reaper." Overall the kept the distintive COB metal sound as most of their other albums.

Alexi Laiho singing in this album is slightly different from the other albums and on several of the songs his voice sounds a little more hardcore than the deep metal voice most COB fans are used to. The lyrics are good but do get pretty explicit and you might want to check whos around you if your playing a track like "In Your Face" through a stereo. Like most of their albums the singing fits in well with the music and pauses briefly for amazing solos from Alexi.

Overall this is one of the best Children of Bodom albums to date. The best tracks on this album are "Living Dead Beat (also known as Living Dead In Europe), "Are You Dead Yet?", "In Your Face," "Next In Line," "Were Not Gonna Fall" and 10. "Somebody Put Something In My Drink". One of the best things about this album are the crazy solos. If you get this album definetly pay attention to the arpeggios at the begging of the "Were Not Gonna Fall" solo. This is an excellent album and if I lost it I would definetly buy it again. It is a must have for any Children Of Bodom fan or metal lover.

atreyukicksass
    shadowsofbodom
    f***in sick is what they are, this cd is sweet, almost as good as hatebreeder or follow the reaper, damn they're awesome!
    uspsteve
    Best production quality thus far, a little heavier than Follow the Reaper. Excellent album.
    metalreaper450
    CoB kicks ass. This isn't their best album but it still kicks ass, just a different style. Follow the Reaper or Hatebreeder are better for sure. They also kick ass live Reno Nevada 2006 w/ Lamb of God SICK!!! i don't give a f*** if you HATE ME!!!!!
    atreyukicksass
    atreyukicksass wrote: i just started listening to Bodom, and i find them really good, i mean, i wouldn't listen to em on a day to day basis, but thats me, and i think they deserve alot of credit for everything they do
    i take back what i said, i happen to listen to em on a day to day basis now greatest band ever. hey metal reaper...."i don't give a **** if you hate me" either
    Jamo888
    to the guy who said i wasn't a true fan, i have a question: Isn't a true fan someone who knows how to criticize the band? I respect them, yes, they are extremely talented at playing their instruments, but they aren't the best songwriters ever. But heavy metal is all about the riff, isn't it? Well this album has very few good riffs. Hey, at least it's not as bad as St. Anger (then again, few albums in history will be quite as bad as that), but it still isn't up to snuff when compared to the last four albums. Their decidedly dark take on their own brand of power metal is admirable, but it doesn't make for good music.