Are You Dead Yet? review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 19, 2005
Children of Bodom: Are You Dead Yet?

Children of Bodom, the most popular metal band to ever come out of Finland has managed to make yet another great power/melodic metal album. The fast, intricate riffs that Alexi and Roope play so well are all over this album. The guitar work is incredibely tight and precise, the same can be said for Jaska and the drums. Janne and the keyboards adds a nice atmospheric touch to the album, and some nice solos as well. And last but not least, Hennka and the bass: he is smart enough to kno when to follow Alexi and Roope and when to play a walking bass line. Songs like "In Your Face" and "Are You Dead Yet?" display COB's ability to write and execute great music. The instrumentals for "In Your Face" were recorded in one take, and they are great. COB has kept their signature aggressive sound, and added more atmosphere to their newest album Are You Dead Yet?

Alexi Laiho is undeniably one the best vocalists in metal today. He has managed to avoid the "cookie monster" sound, and blend singing and screaming into a style all his own. It should come as no surprise that the album is full of reaper-esque references and profane lyrics; but that is what COB fans have grown to expect and it's what COB delivers with great success.

I'll make this short: Are You Dead Yet? is a great metal album, and possibly COB's best album to date. They are constantly evolving into a bigger and better band. I highly reccomend this CD to any metal or COB fan. The lyrics are great, and so is Alexi's voice. The solos are fast and interesting and the drums and bass are tight and powerful.

Ramones06
    I listened to this album until my ears bled. Yeah I think Follow the Reaper is a very close second to Are you dead yet. Riffs are killer, lyrics are killer, shit this stuff is insane! You better have it, if you don't, give your left nut. You won't regret it!!