Are You Dead Yet? review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 19, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Children of Bodom: Are You Dead Yet?

A huge departure for the Bodom boys with this album. Leaving the melodic death/black metal sound, CoB goes for a more aggressive metal sound that will definitely shun a huge percentage of their fan base. With more riff oriented songs and less guitar/keyboard leads, this album features dropped tuned guitars and somewhat repetitive solos-pentatonics mixed with diminished arpeggios. No more neoclassical stuff! That's not to say the riffs are nothing less than cool.

The lyrics seem the same but have an overall different feel. The whole 'I wanna die', 'to the reaper we go!' thing is done and it's all about getting f--ked up and f--kin' other people up basically. I was a huge fan of their original lyrical style but this seems mainstream.

I was excited when I heard the "Trashed, Lost, And Strungout" EP, the title song kicks ass! It has everything we love about Bodom in this song. Sadly, the whole album isn't that way. CoB were masters of their craft but now it seems like we've heard this before but from other bands. The slower tempos used on this album mark a huge change for the worse for the die hard Bodom fans. I'm one of them (a die-hard fan of their old stuf), just look at my name.

anti-christian
    dark_bard
    hmm, yea i hadnt really been much of a bodom fan until i downloaded a few of the music videos for this album, and that really pushed me to go out and buy the cd, now im finding myself learning a bunch of their riffs, children of a bodom is deffinitley a kickass band, im addicted
    rocker301
    these guys are amazing..my favorite group out there right now. i bought this cd the first day it came out and i was afraid that COD had changed but i was wrong. This has got to be their best album to date
    Aminos
    anti-christian wrote: ya i dont like bodom that much but when i do listen to them my favorite album is hatecrew. but you know what... Behemoth is way better like there better by an infinite level!! childrenof bodom suck listen ot behemoth!!
    the signer for this band is so ridicoulous... _ C.O.B. FOR EVER
    boyan89
    ummmmm.... Jamo888 ummm...you suck are you kidding me this cd shows a lot of their talent your blind!!
    ashesofthewake
    justinsturek wrote: ok heres what i have to say u nailed this review so good everyone is all like "it is the best bodom yet" wtf bodoms best cd in my opinion is either something wild cuz of his wide vocal range and killer guitar or follow the reaper. F|uc|k laihos vocals are no where near those qualities or guitaring but u still kept the element in ur review THAT even if its not their best it beats 90% of other current releasing albums so all i sya is ROCK THE F|uC|k on
    dude no offense, and i did enjoy something wild, but the vocals were not all that great man. AYDY is an awesome album. this is a great CD, stop being like 'WTF?? THIS IS NOT LIKE FOLLOW THE REAPER!!' its not supposed to be. if it was like follow the reaper, all you fags would be raggin on CoB for writing the same album twice. and btw, to compare this CD with St. anger is just retarded. Grow up.
    a7xtdmaster
    I personally think this CD is the worst from Bodom yet but still it probably because all of there other albums are f*****g awesome
    idpmofo
    Not as bad as the haters say(as bad as St. Anger, wtf?), and DEF. not as good as what seem to be newbie COB fans think. This is NOT their best. Its heavy and has some very solid songs. It has the worst overall rating on this site, and I'd prob. agree. Its still def. worth buying
    TheDisturbed78
    behemoth is some shit, they have got to be the biggest insult to metal in the entire world, writing songs like that is not hard at all, as musicians they are talented but as songwriters they suck balls.
    Jamo888
    talented bands put out bad albums (St. Anger, anyone?), this is just such a case