Are You Dead Yet? review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 19, 2005
Children of Bodom: Are You Dead Yet?

This is one of the greatest death metal albums ever written. Truly a classic. As always the tracks are brutal assault on your ears. However, you may want to boost your trebles or else you'll end up with a thick distorted mess. The title track "Are You Dead Yet?" is a monumental song. The story behind this powerful title is "When life is crappy, you can get depressed, or tell yourself, I'm not dead yet".

The lyrics are very aggressive, they get the adrenaline pumping. Most of the lyrics are about empowerment such as "In Your Face" which says "It's my world, you're in it, it'll take you down in a minute!". The lyrics match the music in brutality and complexity. Children of Bodom really outdid themselves with this album.

This album is much better than anything I've heard by Arch Enemy or In Flames. Children of Bodom totally smashed anything any deathmetal band has written to bits with this album. The absolute cream of the crop are the songs "In Your Face", "Are You Dead Yet?" and "Punch Me I Bleed". They are strong songs that convey the "meaning of Children of Bodom" very powerfully. That is not to say that all the other songs aren't good, almost all of them are amazing, the only song I would have taken off is "Somebody Put Something In My Drink". It is a mess of a bonus track, I personally think it was a gimmick for album sales. If I lost the album I would buy a CoB DVD/Box set. This album really turned me on to this monstrous band.

hatecrew_247
    I started to listen COB about 1 year ago, and i still. One of the best metal band on earth. listen to it & you'll love it.
    Lackesse
    Fuc.k.ing Brilliant!!!!I know all the albums and i don't have my favourite..It depends on my mood.like someone here says:It kick ass in a different way.Yeah, but hard!!!!!
    quinlikesmetal
    this is just one of those albums which u gotta put on the turntable, and let play, its just so good all the way through.
    Harry_66
    this album fills me with energy every ****ing time i listen to it... it just rocks... i love each one of COB albums but this one, i think, is even better than Follow the Reaper and HCDR... i can listen to it a million times without getting tired of it! COB RULES MUTHAFAKAS!
    Tr3ason
    This is probably my favorite album from Children of Bodom but I have loved every album that they have put out, these guys freakin kick serious ass.
    Minivirus2
    While I do love COB and this is probably my favorite album of theirs, no, just no. It's laughable to think that anyone could/would compare or think this is better than In Flames' Jester Race and Whoracle. Honestly, Whoracle is probably the perfect Melo-death album with it's unique mesh of thrash, death metal and melodic lines. COB are great, but I wouldn't really classify them as melo-death per say and I certainly wouldn't say they're better than the legendary IF.
    SadisticRitual
    i want to hang myself by a rope when i see people actually give this album decent reviews. too many fanboys. now not to be hypcritical, i had my bodom phase, but they're really a band to grow out of. there are plenty of better metal bands out there to listen to. don't get me wrong, they are extremely talented on the first three albums but like metallica they have built up such a bad rep with these horrible follow-up albums that i want to throw up thinking about their name