Blooddrunk review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
Children of Bodom: Blooddrunk

Today, my Blooddrunk pre-order came in the mail, oh boy, am I excited, my hands are shaking and my heartbeat sure is higher than normal, trust me. Yes, as you can tell from what I've written above, I'm a big fan of Children Of Bodom. They are probably my favorite band of all time. I've had high hopes for this album, and what can I say? I'm not disappointed. Once again, Bodom delivers! This is a great record, both heavy (probably their heaviest yet) and melodic. It is clearly heavily influenced by thrash metal, starting with the speed and aggression of the first track 'Hellhounds On My Trail' and ending with the last, 'Roadkill Morning'. The album also has a progressive edge, very well noticeable in the keyboards, some riffs and some solos. All the usual Bodom elements are present, the guitars on this album are absolutely amazing, blazing fast, easily topping the ones on their previous album 'Are You Dead Yet?' both in terms of speed and in terms of overall sound, much more creative and compelling. The keyboards knocked me off my feet, they are the best I've ever heard in any previous Bodom album, and I'm not exaggerating. The drumming is well done on this album, it's not very original, but very well done. There is even good bass, something Extreme Metal is not knowm for. Lastly, the mix is very good, especially on the guitars. Note: This album is very similar to 'Hate Crew Deathroll'. If you liked HCDR, you will like this album for sure.

Lyrics have never been a strong point of this band, and neither were the vocals, but with every new album that Bodom puts out they seem to improve. That is the case with this album as well. The lyrics aren't very poetic or complex, but they are clearly passionate, and that's what matters. Alexi improved his pronunciation, making himself more understandable than before, and changed his tone a bit, which makes him lighter on the ear. Overall, the lyrics are better than before, and with the new vocals it's easier to get into Bodom, as before the vocals were a problem to some people.

This album is much different from the early Bodom material, but nevertheless great. Bodom incorporated all their usual elements, great guitars and keyboards, technical drumming, some bass here and there, to create a great album that Bodom and Metal fans alike can relate to. It has aggression, heaviness, melody in great abundance and variety, and that's what the usual metal fan need, eh? To see what I mean listen to 'Banned From Heaven', 'Roadkill Morning', 'One Day You Will Cry', 'Smile Pretty For The Devil', and 'Done With Everything, Die For Nothing', those songs get my point across very well.

DeDperson
    I heard a lot from this album, and I think that it's one of Bodom's bests. Maybe not the heaviest, but still is amazing!.
    Gregray88
    I do miss Alexi's melodic licks but I love their new thrashy style and i think Alexi purposely left out his big soloing sections because he wanted to brign out the anger on this album. Great album btw.