Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Dec 5, 2006
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Children of Bodom: Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD]

If there was one DVD I could buy to have for the rest of my life, it would probably be the Children of Bodom: Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live DVD sitting to my left. Despite the long title which is agonizing to type, by the way, the DVD was put together flawlessly. The live set is amazing, the documentary is hilarious and the making of the DVD really lets you get to know the band a little bit. The band sounds pretty good live, but there were a few things that I noticed that were pretty bad. Now, Alexi Laiho is famous for his dive bombs; yet, he messed one up at the end of the "Living Dead Beat" and "Sixpounder" solos, and you can see it in his face during the latter that he knows he missed it. The backing vocals aren't great, but that's not a major aspect. The last thing I wanted to touch on was that when Alexi talks to the crowd, half the time I don't know what the f--k he is saying. I know he has an accent, but he talks the way he sings, and it makes it hard to understand. Other than those few minor aspects, the DVD is mindblowing. The band sounds great, both guitars are in tune, everything is on time and stage presence is huge with these guys. Not only do the play excerpts of Motley Crue songs, but they also play excerpts of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" and their infamous Britney Spears "Oops! I Did It Again" cover song. Also, after "Follow The Reaper", Janne cooks some sausage with the pyrotechnics on stage. I thought it was pretty funny.

Content — 9
The DVD features a live set, a documentary on the band, the making of the DVD, promotional videos, deleted scenes and finally, a photo gallery. Let me put it this way: you get your money's worth. Now, what they call Latvala's guitar solo is about 25 seconds of him doing a few scales. It isn't very impressive, nor is it lengthy. If they were going to have him do a guitar solo, it should have been at least a minute long. I've watched this live set at least 300 times and I'm still not tired of it. In fact, I'm watching it right now. Anyways, the live set blows me away every time I watch it. The way they perform and interact with each other and the crowd on stage is just awesome. They don't look nervous, scared, or anything. They make it fun to watch. The documentary, in my opinion, should be rated R. You see some stuff in there that you might not want to see. Alexi's cock, for example. That's in there a couple times. There's some humping, other stuff, but besides all that stuff, the documentary just makes you laugh. The guys have such a strange sense of humor that you can't help but be amused. The behind the scenes really lets you know how much hard work goes into making a DVD and doing a live performance. The promo videos are, well, promo videos. Not much to say about them. I haven't gotten into the deleted scenes or photo gallery yet, but I'm sure there's some good stuff in there too. Satisfaction is an understatement when it comes to this DVD. I just love watching it and I'm going to continue to love watching it for a long time.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality is nothing short of flawless. The chose the right camera angles, shots, etc. If there was a solo, the camera was on Alexi, not venturing off somewhere else when all you want to do is watch the solo. They also have a camera set up in Jaska's drum set, which is a cool feature because you can watch him bust his balls close up. There weren't very many tricks or special technologies used, but it was still produced great nonetheless.

There is no comparison to any other DVD here. There isn't a whole lot that comes close to being as good as this. The most impressive thing about the DVD has to be the amount of hard work and devotion the band put into making it, with performance and sound quality in a close second and third, respectively. There isn't anything I DON'T love about it. Everything is fun to watch and easy to enjoy. I can't really think of anything I hate, to be honest. Oh wait, yes I can. I wish the set list was longer. It's long enough already, but I just can't get enough Children Of Bodom. If something were to happen to this DVD, I wouldn't even bother looking for it, I'd just go get a new one right away. If you are a fan of Children Of Bodom or just a fan of heavy metal in general, this DVD is definitely for you.