Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] Review

Production Quality: 9.5
 9.5
 9.6
 9.4
Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 06, 2006

Sound: If there's one key element that makes Children Of Bodom beloved by its fans, it's the concert experience the band gives that hearkens back to metal icons like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. So it was a wise decision on the band's part to release a full-length concert DVD chronicling the stage show full of pyrotechnics, dual keyboard-guitar solos, and a heavy helping of middle fingers. Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live is a must-have for Bodom fans, with its extensive live song list, bonus videos, and band documentary. The concert portion of the DVD filmed at The Arenan in Stockholm, Sweden, is thorough if it is anything. If you're hoping that COB (Alexi Laiho on vocals/guitar, Roope Latvala on guitar, Henkka Blacksmith on bass, Janne Warman on keyboards, and Jaska Raatikainen on drums) performs a particular song -- be it Follow The Reaper or Everytime I Die -- you won't be disappointed as there are 19 songs on the setlist. But aside from just doing the usual thing by playing hit songs, COB's approach to concerts is classic in that all the musicians excel at their respective instruments and are allowed to present those talents to the fullest extent. In Chaos Ridden Years, audiences are allowed to fully recognize that through extensive solo work and you're likely to have a whole new appreciate for the band just in seeing those moments. What the DVD could have used is a bit more enhancement to Laiho's vocals. While the COB is highly driven by the intertwining guitar and keyboard melodies, vocals are still essential for audiences. The mixing just didn't provide enough balance in that sense, and Laiho can barely be heard throughout most of the concert. If you've got an adequate sound system, you might be able to tweak the problem out a bit, but that extra work shouldn't necessarily be the job of the fans. On Silent Night, Bodom Night it would have been nice to have a little more focus on the solo portions. There's a fantastic shared solo between Laiho and Warman that is absolutely the highlight of the song. Unfortunately the cameras are so intent on shooting every which way that they lose some of the intensity of the solo. While they dedicate some time to the two musicians going at the solo, the angle doesn't allow viewers to get a true sense of what Laiho is playing. You'll be able to see every note that Warman plays, but with Laiho you're more likely to see his back. Thankfully by the time the DVD gets to songs like Hate Me! and most memorably Bodom After Midnight, you're able to get a close-up view of Laiho's key solos. One of the most entertaining moments comes when drummer Jaska Raatikainen is given the spotlight for a drum solo in Deadbeats I. Sure, plenty of people might dread the drum solo section of a concert, but Raatikainen makes it a little more than your typical one by starting out with a beer in one hand and the drumstick in the other. Once the bit of comic relief takes place, Raatikainen immediately gets down to business and the camera angles do his lightening-speed skills justice. // 9

Overall Impression: A lot of bands could take a cue from Children of Bodom in terms of giving a well-rounded, entertaining DVD to the fans. The Finnish band has given the most complete COB experience that you could feasibly get at this time. Fans have probably already seen most of the videos, but it's not everyday that you get to see a complete stage show and documentary as well. Although the documentary was not finished at the time of this review, the look at the band's history would make Chaos Ridden Years the complete package. While the DVD does have its sound flaws and the camera angles aren't always perfect, the content does make up for most of the mistakes. It's likely that fans will appreciate the band more than before with this latest release, and even those who aren't that familiar with the band will see that there is plenty of insane talent that goes into performing even the simplest COB song. // 9

Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] Reviewed by: TimmerGuitarMan, on july 25, 2007

Sound: The music is amazing! They are unlike no other band, as they mix low down riffs with harmonized melodies with blistering solos! And that is just on the studio albums! The DVD is an amazing show, with many funny moments and tonnes of amazing songs. A track to listen out for is "clash of the booze brothers" which is an immense solo duel, which gives an idea of what the band are capable of. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive thing about this DVD is the fact that it is packed full of everything any bodom fan would ever need! The picture quality is immaculate. I love this DVD more than any other one I have bought before! It is better than any other live show I have seen, and would definitely recommend this to everyone who appreciates this style of music! // 10

Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] Reviewed by: protestthehero8, on july 06, 2007

Sound: If there was one DVD I could buy to have for the rest of my life, it would probably be the Children of Bodom: Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live DVD sitting to my left. Despite the long title which is agonizing to type, by the way, the DVD was put together flawlessly. The live set is amazing, the documentary is hilarious and the making of the DVD really lets you get to know the band a little bit. The band sounds pretty good live, but there were a few things that I noticed that were pretty bad. Now, Alexi Laiho is famous for his dive bombs; yet, he messed one up at the end of the "Living Dead Beat" and "Sixpounder" solos, and you can see it in his face during the latter that he knows he missed it. The backing vocals aren't great, but that's not a major aspect. The last thing I wanted to touch on was that when Alexi talks to the crowd, half the time I don't know what the f--k he is saying. I know he has an accent, but he talks the way he sings, and it makes it hard to understand. Other than those few minor aspects, the DVD is mindblowing. The band sounds great, both guitars are in tune, everything is on time and stage presence is huge with these guys. Not only do the play excerpts of Motley Crue songs, but they also play excerpts of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" and their infamous Britney Spears "Oops! I Did It Again" cover song. Also, after "Follow The Reaper", Janne cooks some sausage with the pyrotechnics on stage. I thought it was pretty funny. // 8

Overall Impression: There is no comparison to any other DVD here. There isn't a whole lot that comes close to being as good as this. The most impressive thing about the DVD has to be the amount of hard work and devotion the band put into making it, with performance and sound quality in a close second and third, respectively. There isn't anything I DON'T love about it. Everything is fun to watch and easy to enjoy. I can't really think of anything I hate, to be honest. Oh wait, yes I can. I wish the set list was longer. It's long enough already, but I just can't get enough Children Of Bodom. If something were to happen to this DVD, I wouldn't even bother looking for it, I'd just go get a new one right away. If you are a fan of Children Of Bodom or just a fan of heavy metal in general, this DVD is definitely for you. // 10

Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] Reviewed by: Cnorris666, on september 26, 2007

Sound: What to say about Children Of Bodom? Well, they're the greatest thing that stepped out of Finland ever, and for the past year, they've been the greatest band to grace my eardrums. This melodic death metal band hit Stockholm boozed up, and ready to go! As Alexi keeps up his fine screams and insanely fast riffs/solos, the rest of the band keeps up. Henka with his chugging bass work that isn't phoned out at all, Janne with his amazing metal mixed with classic keyboard style, Roope with the rhythm riffs that keep the song alive, and Jaska with his amazing drum fills and double bass. I honestly thought they would be better on the album, but nothing is compared to Children Of Bodom, live. // 10

Overall Impression: No band can compare to Children Of Bodom in my opinion. Not to mention that they are life changing live, even if it was only a DVD. The best part about this DVD was the reason anyone buys a concert DVD in the first place, the concert. Words can't describe how amazing these guys are live. The best part of the concert is Clash Of The Booze Brothers (Laiho vs. Warman). This is a clash of two completely different instruments taken up a notch. Soloing, one after the other, until they decide that's enough. It will blow your mind balls away, guaranteed. The worst part, how they took their best song, put it as their opening, but messed up the lead parts. I could barely hear anything. But all is forgiven when they play 15 songs that would make any Bodom fans day. If this were stolen or lost, I'd buy this again in a heartbeat. Then I'd buy the CD version so I can finally put it on my iPod, but until then. // 10

Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] Reviewed by: eetfuk58, on november 19, 2007

Sound: Children of Bodom are a melodic/power metal band from Finland. They are one of the most intense bands around today, blending blazing guitar riffs with harmonizing keyboards and a tight rhythm section. The undeniable COB sound comes from Alexi Laiho's growl/screaming vocals and virtuoso guitar playing. Alexi really showcases his guitar playing on this DVD, there is even a guitar/synth dual solo featured on this disk that is absolutely mind blowing. Even if Children of Bodom isn't your favorite band the music and virtuosity displayed on this disk would still justify buying a copy just to watch the true art of metal music at its best. // 9

Overall Impression: Chaos Ridden Years is a phenomenal display of sheer talent by the Bodom crew. This DVD is proof that Bodom are a true force of nature and can put on one of the most impressive shows that I have ever seen. The visual effects used during the show are of epic proportions. Flames, lights, fog, and even half a car are used as props. The best part about the DVD is definately the ammount of stuff on it, concerts, music videos and interviews. The replay value of this disk is the best of any DVD I have ever owned, I watch parts of it almost ever day. I would definately buy this DVD if I ever lost it! I can not recomend this DVD enough! // 10

Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live [DVD] Reviewed by: F-ing Hostile, on march 20, 2008

Sound: The sound of Children of Bodom live is pretty good. They sound almost spot on on most of the songs, of course there are always a few songs That should just be studio songs, and on this DVD, most of those are the AYDY songs. The story is basically just to give all of the fans the experience of a Bodom concert at home, and to show the history of the band on the documentary. I love the long drum solo that they put on here, Jaska really shows off his skill, and they really show Alwexander's shredding skills, and Janne's skills at keyboard when they have their little "instrument face offs". It is a very energetic concert also, which makes it fun to watch. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive thing is probably the live show and the documentary, there is a lot of footage for both, which with them alone you get your 20 dollars worth, and then they have the deleted outtakes, and music videos, so it's even better. I basically just love how entertaining it was, and cool the live performance was, but I hate that on the music videos, you can't just listen to all of them, you have to listen to one, and then scroll through the menu and pick another, it's just kind of a pain. I wouldn't definetly buy it again if it were stolen, I got 2 other band DVDs for Christmas, and this is easily the best one by a mile. // 10

Comments