Follow The Reaper review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Feb 20, 2001
Children of Bodom: Follow The Reaper

Children Of Bodom is obviously one of the best melodic death metal/power metal bands alive, and this album proves it. The bands sound itself in retrospect, I think, that Alexi just unloads it like he always does, in the Title track, "Follow The Reaper" the solo is just mind blowing, over-exaggerated orgasmic tension flowing through his fingers into your ears, a serenity of string movements, just with it blowing every other band out of the water, and their bonus song "Hellion" with the bone cracking intro, it biulds up tension to the song, which makes it even more intruiging by the way Alexi and Alexander work. What really striked me oddly is in the track "Every Time I Die" Alexi put down his guitar, and let Alexander take the stage. This obviously being the highlight of Alexanders time with CoB, He soon after in 2003 quit the band due to family life, he told Alexi "IT hurts me, it hurts you to know that I'm obviously not enjoying this anymore, and I'm only doing it for the money, it hurts the fans too."

With him saying this, Roope Vatlava, quickly took up Alexi's offer and took his place, Roope Vatlava, being in one of the most famous, and "prehistoric" death metal bands known as Stone, the next two albums they produced, Hatecrew Deathroll, and Trashed Lost & Strungout, turned out to be a smash in my views, bringing the level of COB's talent straight through the roof.

Alexi's voccals in this album, truly defines what some people would describe as "Someone ripping a strip of duct tape off of your soul," well that's how I would describe it, and thats how I like it. The lyrics are powerful nonetheless. Alexi's skill for singing/screaming is undoubtedly some of the best in Metal.

This album doesn't compare to anything else, except for Alexi's and Roope's other band Sinergy, which I think they do alot better in, but for the most part, Alexi and Alexander "rip it good." If I lost this album, I'd be at the music store the next day buying it again. I'll conclude this review, by saying COB isn't ready to f--king die yet, keep shredding, and f--k the world.