Follow The Reaper review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Feb 20, 2001
Children of Bodom: Follow The Reaper

Alexi Laiho is the next leader of the new wave of guitar heroes out there. People too young to know of Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen will look to him for inspiration. This CD, is by far the best album melodically, as it blends classical inspired leads with the brutal black metal vocals and crushing riffs Laiho is known for. You can obviously hear Laiho's classical training as well as his love of Yngwie Malmsteen. If you are looking for their best melodic album, buy this. Their best "heavy" album in my opinion would be Hatebreeder, which brings Bodom's playing to the most extreme. Hatebreeder isn't produced as well as Follow The Reaper, but it contains more classical inspired playing.

Alexi is actually a decent singer, but it doesn't show on this album, though his ability to make his screaching vocals have some melody is surprising. A lot of the songs the vocals are hard to interpret, but the vocals aren't the main part of the CD. The lyrics are in one word, dark.

Unlike any other CD I own, there is not one single track I dislike on this album. Every single song is impressive. I love the solos, and Alexi's lead playing in general. He has taken what it means to be an accomplished player to a new level. His solos are incredibly fast, but they maintain clarity and melody throughout each one. His selection of scales go great in this album. By all means, buy this!