Follow The Reaper review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Feb 20, 2001
Children of Bodom: Follow The Reaper

Children of Bodom are at it again with possibly their best release. This album is still classicly inspired, not as much as hatebreeder but you can still feel it in the melodies. This album features the classic COB sound: guitar harmonies, guitar vs. keyboard battles, blistering fast riffs and loud vocals. This album has often been labeled as possibly power metal but don't get your genres mixed up. Power metal is up beat and has falsetto vocals. This album is scandinavian melodic death metal.

The lyrics for COB are often criticized, one because we don't really know what half of them are, and two because most people that like COB aren't into the reaper stuff. This album though has a lot better lyrics than Are You Dead Yet though. Alexi's vocals take getting used to and feature a lot of "Yaow!"s but I have grown to like his vocal style.

This album is probably the best middle ground between the heavier Hate Crew Death Roll and the classical yet heavy Hatebreeder. There honestly isn't a bad song on here, and I think a comment on the bottom says it the best, "the worst song is northern comfort and it still kicks ass!" My favorite songs are Follow The Reaper, Everytime I Die, Hate Me, and Kissing The Shadows. Kissing The shadows was written at the last second but the solo owns my soul. Also the bonus track of Hellion is a nice touch as well. This album features great solos with many different playing techniques and catchy riffs/melodies. Overall this album is a must for anyone into melodic death metal, or metal in general. I would definitely severely hurt the person you stole it from me.

Judas_rising
    korn-nut wrote: sounds like christmas metal... If you are in ANY way insulting COB....u shud go stick ure head down a toilet and flush it right off...cuz its as good as s##t
    Shinozoku
    My top faves from this album are: "Every Time I Die", "Mask of Sanity"(brutal riffs and insane solo!), "Bodom After Midnight", and "Children of Decadence". There is no filler in this album! I find myself listening to it more than Are You Dead Yet.
    Sixpounder
    Best album ever! Hands down! Nothing, and I mean nothin, not even Hatebreeder touches it!
    Ramones06
    This album is crazy! None of the songs lag all the solos are freakin insane, love the dive bombs
    Satchpwnsnoobs
    Words cannot describe this album. Its now in my shelf of favorite cd's ever along with Texas Flood, Surfing with the Alien, Ride the Lightning, and .... you get the point. Freaking awesome.
    l)ragonForce
    korn-nut wrote: sounds like christmas metal...
    Holy shit i thought i was the only person who thought that... dont worry its not an insult