Follow The Reaper review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Feb 20, 2001
Children of Bodom: Follow The Reaper

My impression of the band's sound and music is very good, and very heavy and dark. This is Children of Bodom's third album and probably one of their best. Their style is very unique, they are a melodic death metal band in my opinion, but they combine elements of black metal, thrash metal, and even power metal to make their own signature sound. The keyboards put a very nice atmospheric dark sound to it, which just seem to flow perfect with the guitars, and drums are very good IMO, because the drummer knows when to speed up and slow down to make a certain feel for a song.

The lyrics, well, let's just be honest, a good deal of Alexi's lyrics aren't exactly what you would call "deep", but he does do the whole in your face very well, and I give him props for that, because not very many songwriters can make such straight forward aggresive lyrics without sounding like Fred Durst. The lyrics also flow very well with the music, so Alexi earns props for that also. Now although a lot of people don't like Alexi's lyrics, I find it hard to deny that his voice is amazing. His growls are very spot on, and he has a very unique voice, and it's good to find a singer that not everyone can duplicate.

Yes, this album does definetly compare to their others. I would say it is probably their best. My favorite song and IMO the most impressive are "Mask Of Sanity", "Hate Me!", "Follow the Reaper", and "Every Time I Die". I love pretty much every aspect of the album, I just don't like that the keyboards are overused at times, but other than that it's a great buy, and yea I'd buy it again if it were stolen or lost.

The Black Salts
    yeah well while bodom are a great band you won't hear too many drummers getting off on their drums, period. They're not bad, they're just one of the weakest points in Bodom. There are a lot of melodeath bands that manage to pull off great technical drums fills and cool drums in general but it's like all you remember about its sound is the snare. Otherwise classic album.