Follow The Reaper review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Feb 20, 2001
Children of Bodom: Follow The Reaper

I'd say the tone is better than the two previous albums (something wild and hatebreeder), it has a fuller, deeper tone. My only complaint is that the vocals are too soft, all of Bodom's other albums have much louder vocals. From this album on, things went a little down hill, so I'd say this is the marking period of bodom's more neoclassical directed music style. One song that I'd say sounds a little more like bodom's newer stuff is "Everytime I Die". Just because of that chugging on the low e string, though. These guys sound similar to power metal, but with death metal vocals. But I wouldn't say they are quite melodic death metal either. In other words, their genre is difficult to pinpoint.

Again, the vocals needed to be a little louder, but that's my only complaint. Alexi screaming I'd say is much better than on the first two albums, as his low screaming sounded sort of punky. He barely does any low screaming on this album, but when he does it, it sounds pretty awesome. When I first listened to this album the whole way through (which was the first time I listened to the album), I immediately got hooked to the really fast and high screaming Laiho does in "Children of Decadence".

I don't hate anything except for what has already been stated. My least favorite song on the album is probably Northern Comfort, but if I listened to it more often then I do, I would begin to become attracted to it. I would say the top 5 songs on the album are (in no specific order) "Children of Decadence", "Hate me", "Everytime I Die", "Taste of My Scythe", and "Kissing the Shadows". If I lost this album, I'd definitly go out and buy it again. Hell, I'd buy 25 copies if I had to (assuming 24 of them were stolen).

scytheofbodom
    This is my all time favorite album.I could listen it every day and i really wouldn't get bored or sick of it.I like every song,especially Everytime i die,Bodom after midnight,Children of decadence and Taste of my scythe.Great lyrics and great music.
    Rabje1234
    This album is ****in sick! i mean, seriously it's Are You Dead Yet and Something Wild (my two fav albums) mixed together which makes this my fav album xD
    Ajinkyareddy
    I suck upon dis album....Der best effort till date,D song I luv d most from dis album are Every time I die and Kissing the shadows(BRILLIANT)....EPIC!!
    mchugh92
    This album contains Kissing the Shadows, it deserves every piece of credit it gets!