Hate Crew Deathroll review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 23, 2003
Children of Bodom: Hate Crew Deathroll

This album is absolutely amazing. I bought it based on one song (Needled 24/7) and needless to say, it did not disappoint. The whole album blends the feel of each song together making it seem like you're listening to a kick-ass 43 minute song. Alexi Laiho's voice alters and does not fail to bore the listener like other blackmetal vocalists. Laiho and Kuoppala also provide some amazing guitar work to this album, from the verses to the solos their skill is mind bending. A key aspect of this album is the use of keyboards. Janne Warman (as the keyboardist) doesn't fail to provide vivid (and very red) soundscapes for Laiho and Kuoppala to work around. Warman also gives some of the songs life (Bodom Beach Terror).

The lyrics did impress me considering most foreign bands who write in english have some problems expressing them (as ArchEnemy & LacunaCoil). Alexi put together great words to express what he felt, which wasn't really anger but something close to it. The lyrics and music worked together as well which made everything about this album more pleasent, even though it's fast and slick.

This album caught me by surprise and it caught me good. The music is so inexplicable that I can't find a genre for it(even though some call it blackmetal). It is alive and awake for it's entire span. No non-sense metal (even though 'Angels Don't Kill' slows the flow a bit it is still a great song). With 9 songs they were able to spark amazing music and really prove that quantity is not better than quality. Even though this entire album is a masterpiece and it would be unfair to pick highlights, if i had to choose i would go with 'Needled 24/7', 'Bodom Beach Terror', and the title track 'Hate Crew Deathroll'. If this album was stolen I would kill the thief and buy another one. This album is much more worth the purchase. I've become an instant Children Of Bodom fan.