Hate Crew Deathroll review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Sep 23, 2003
Children of Bodom: Hate Crew Deathroll

Hatecrew is my favorite COB album released thus far. This album being the answer to their 2001 album "Follow The Reaper". Here you can see COB start to move away from the sound created on previous albums. Alexi Laiho (lead guitar, lead vocals) usually rips off a series of single notes over a chord progression in the verses, chorus, etc. In this album, we see him playing more chord progressions himself than on past albums. It's hard to describe the differences in this album, as compared to previous albums, but if you listened to them you'd recognize it.

The lyrics are always hard to understand because of Alexi's singing style. He uses a sort of growl (usually seen in hardcore music, but Bodom is much better than all hardcore bands), making it hard to make out the lyrics without having them in front of you. However, on this album it is easier to make out the lyrics (especially on Needled 24/7). Alexi is a very good lyric composer, so the lyrics fit right in with the beat of the music. As a singer, this is Alexi's best album vocally (except for maybe the Are You Dead Yet album). As usual, the lyrics cover the following subjects: Grim Reaper, Hate for other people, Lake Bodom murders, black metal type stuff, etc.

Again, this is COB's best album. There are so many great songs on this album. I love the album for their incorporation of keyboards. It's so rare to see that in metal. Alexi's guitar playing is among the best I've seen. They are such a great band, especially live (by the way, "Needled 24/7" and "Sixpounder" are pretty much mandatory on their set list). There really isn't anything I hate on the album, either. If I lost it I'd without a doubt purchase another one.