Hatebreeder review by Children of Bodom

• Released: May 4, 1999
Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder

Jesus Christ! That guy can play guitar! Wish he'd only stop singing... No really, this is a killer album as far as the sound. Classical meets heavy/death metal. Once in a while these albums come along that hasn't got one bad song on it (usually at least 1 song sucks...). Main man of the band, Alexi Laiho (who calls himself, very cool "Wildchild"...) knows what scales to use. Maybe it's because of his violin experience? Anyway, he is still very young (21, I believe) and promises to be a future guitar god (if he still isn't). We are gonna hear from them...

At first I thought the singing was terrible, you just couldn't hear what he was singing... Later on I got used to his Alexi's voice and now I'm just fine with it. It means to me that I "accept" his singing, but just don't listen to this album for the great singing in it! But of course, like in every deathmetal band, the lyrics are about death, destruction and that stuff... (if you're looking for something else, listen to Opeth...).

Master album! Definitely the best one by COB so far, I haven't seen them matching up to this. I think the great difference between this and the later albums is that later on Alexi already knew he was a guitar god, and somehow bragged with this. Also the later albums are much less classically inspired, which means that they are of course classically inspired (it is the COB....) but much less than I liked in Hatebreeder. First I copied this CD, later when I was very much into COB I also bought it (well, I got it for Christmas...). Top songs from the album: Towards dead end, Silent night Bodom night, Downfall.