Hatebreeder review by Children of Bodom

• Released: May 4, 1999
Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder

This is Children Of Bodom second CD, in which they were allowed to really use all of their creativity. The use of blazing guitar licks and solos combined with keyboard make for an amazing album. This album was also created after the lead singer/guitarist tried to kill himself with 30 tranquilizers and booze. His survival and remaining depression gave this album the darkest and most progressive feel in metal recently. The album is also obviously classically inspired.

The lyrics on some songs are substandard, while on songs like warheart they compel me to shout along and vent my rage. The vocals are great if you like black or death metal, but if you don't (I didn't before I listened to this album) they are bearable, and the musicianship makes up for it. Even if you dont like the singing, there's no doubting the compliance of the screaming vocals with the fast past double bass drumming, and thrashing leads.

This is the best album from Children Of Bodom, most songs are classically inspired, and the most notable are Downfall, Silent Night Bodom Night, Warheart, Towards Dead End and Hatebreeder. I recommend this for anyone, even if they don't typically listen to metal. They can still appreciate the skill and amazing technical ability of Alexi Laiho on guitar and Janne Warmen on keyboard.

ledzppln1969
    they are sweet. i think their best album in "follow the reaper" but then, they're all great. \m/
    War_Ensamble
    DownFall is a sick ass song me and my friend jam it all the time and we dont get sick of it
    sexybeast101
    alexi laiho is like the fastest guitarist that ive ever heard in my life.he's so good at guitar.this cd rocks, especially the song hatebreeder.