Hatebreeder review by Children of Bodom

• Released: May 4, 1999
Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder

Bodom shines even brighter on their follow-up to "Something Wild". "Hatebreeder" is a step up from their previous album since the tunes are a bit faster and incorporate a lot more melody and technique than "Something Wild" did. On the other hand, it still packs quite a punce in terms of heaviosity and you can even hear the bass a lot more in this one. In my personal opinion, this second-coming only makes me think even greater of Bodom. The songs are fresh-sounding and as innovative as "Something Wild" was and is much more memorable. The neo-classical sound is ever-present on this album as well, so Bodom fans will enjoy it very much. And the soloing is even bolder and longer this time around too! Janne Warman makes an even bigger presence in "Hatebreeder" as well, so basically, it seems like this album had a lot more band collaboration as opposed to just one or 2 members arranging the tunes.

Alexi explodes with even more powerful vocals on this album. Especially in songs like "Bed Of Razors" and "Warheart". His singing is even more so chilling and a lot clearer too, which makes this album that much easier to listen to. Also, there are some interesting war yells in some tunes, as well as a collaboration from Alexi's other band's singer, Kiberly Goss (from Sinergy). All in all, Hatebreeder makes a lot of steps forward in terms of vocals and lyrics, which is always a good thing as far as I'm concened.

This album is just as mind-blowing as "Something Wild" is. Honestly, in terms of a genre, Bodom only seems comparable to themselves because nobody out there (at least not to my knowledge) sounds like them. Every song, like on "Something Wild" is totally amazing as well. However, if I had to pick a few, they'd be: the title track, "Bed Of Razors", "Black Widow" & "Children Of Bodom"-especially that outro keyboard solo! This album's a little bit longer than their first, but not long enough however. Just the same, it shows that Bodom once again proved unable to release filler material! I would never lose this album-it's too precious! But if I did, you can warrant that it'll be replaced or retrieved somehow. Basically, fans of heavy, technical & melodic music will not be disappointed!

xtwistdchaos29x
    all of children of bodoms stuff is the greatest!!!!! C.O.B. KICKS THE BIGGEST ASS THERE IS TO KICK!!!!!
    Sixpounder
    Fuk this cd is fukin awsome, I cant say wich is better, Follow the reaper, or Hatebreeder, they are both close for me!!
    C o B
    F*cking Rights CoB Forever. Once i got their first album. THE REAPER HOOKED ME, There are GODS and alexi's crazy ass solos and riffs plus the sweet ass solos with alexi vs janne and the harmonies man I cant Get Enuf oF them. awesome album one of there best not one bad song on this. CoB4ever!!!!