Hatebreeder review by Children of Bodom

• Released: May 4, 1999
Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder

Compared to the first album Something Wild, Hatebreeder focus a lot more on melody and technique, as well as speed. You can hear the bass much better, which also makes the album sound a lot heavier than the previous. I think this album is a lot more technical and faster than Something Wild, which was a lot more agressive and primitive. This was also the album where Children of Bodom really defined their sound by mixing speed and technicality with melody. In this album the neoclassical influences also becomes more obvious. A part of the song "Black Widow" uses a part of Mozarts "Klaverkoncert #20 I'm D Mol", while the bridge in the title track "Hatebreeder" uses a series of arpeggios from Mozarts Queen Of The Night Aria from "The Magic Flute".

The lyrics are nothing deep, just the ordinary death metal lyrics. You know, the "I'm a cold-blooded killer, who'll f*ck you up!" stuff. The lyrics still fits the music really well though and the lyrics were at least a step up from Something Wild. While Alexi Laiho isn't the best vocalist out there, his vocals just fits Children of Bodom so well, I can't really explain why, but they just fit.

This album is a must-buy for any Melodic Death Metal fan, or just Metal fan in general. This album is really impressive, and I found myself very entertained, and I still listen to it very often. The most impressive songs on there was "Warheart", "Silent Night Bodom Night" and "Downfall". I love this album, it's all up there in your face and you feel very entertained by this record. I love the fact that this takes the core aspects of the melodeath genre and adds it's own feel to the music, which brings something unique to the music. I don't really dislike anything about this record. If it got stolen, I would run down to the store and grab it again, it's an awesome record, it's a must-have.