Relentless Reckless Forever review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Mar 8, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Children of Bodom: Relentless Reckless Forever

Relentless Reckless Forever has sort of a weird, not quite Children Of Bodom sound. Unlike in their previous albums which were bright and sharp and melodic this one sounds dull and its very riff orientated much like you see in american metal bands. The guitar riffs are plain, not very memorable and unlike in blooddrunk this album is not heavy at all. As a matter of fact it has a "happy" feel to it. Guitar solos...well their short, also not very memorable and some of them are...bluesy? Drums are your typical metal beats, basically you can tell whats coming next as if you listened to the album 100 times, theres no "wow", no surprise factor. Although it may seem like the band was slacking a bit with their instruments, Janne was definitely putting his keyboards to use. Basically don't expect anything less than great with keyboards. And another good thing on this album I have to say are Alexi's vocals. Seems that they get better and better with each album.

Anyone that listens to COB knows that Alexi's Lyrics are not exactly the greatest lyrics ever written. And that proves itself true in this album as well. "Not My Funeral" the first track on the album has lyrics that feels like hes screaming a question after question with no answer. Most of the songs consists of questions. "Shovel Knockout", just awful. "Roundtrip To Hell And Back", not too bad. A bit different but good different. "Pussyfoot Miss Suicide". You know that one girl in High School who burned herself with lighters and cut her legs and wrists for attention, and nobody really gave a shit what she did? So basically anyone could of written a song like that, but overall not too bad, kinda funny actually. And for the rest of the album it feels like hes talking out of a diary or something.

Well this album comes nowhere near the first 3, but its definintly better than AYDY. Best songs on the album; "Not My Funeral", "Relentless Reckless Forever" and "Northpole Throwdown" these are (in my opinion) the only songs that say COB on this album. And for the worst songs, well without a doubt is "Shovel Knockout". When listening to this song you kinda have this "What the f--k were they thinking?!" thought. So save your self the trouble and just skip it. And of course the second worst song of the album is "Was Is Worth It", but we all knew that was coming, didn't we?