Relentless Reckless Forever review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Mar 8, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Children of Bodom: Relentless Reckless Forever

Relentless, Reckless Forever! This statement I can tell is meant for you to take notice, but the COB guys should include "Risky" into there title for this record. The opening song "My Funeral" is a major departure from there past efforts and offerings, instead of a blistering 250bpm record there is a groove feeling with this record, the solos are more based on feel then speed and technique which I am impressed by. Don't get me wrong I have loved the records they have put out in the past, but to have something with the Bodom sound and cutting vocals and to have it in a groove feeling is a real treat. That being said this record has it's intense moments, the title track being one of them also the song ugly is almost a take back to the thrash sound of 86. Other songs like "Pussyfoot Miss Suicide" with a syncopated guitar and drum riff is that slow head band feel, "Roundtrip To Hell And Back" is another example the keys are very prominent in this song which will bring a feeling of joy to any key players out there looking for inspiration and finally "Shovel Knockout" this track is in my opinion the heaviest song in there history with an incredible bass and drums intro very nice to this metal heads ears throughout the album Alexi proves he is still one of the most talented players in metal today, and on this record he really go's against his instincts on solos and instead of playing the blistering solos he's know for he add a flow that I have only heard on a few songs in years past also Janne Wirman's keyboard work is spot on as usual a very enjoyable flow to this record. All in all a well done record and a breath of fresh air.

This albums lyrics are especially dark with songs of attempted suicide and many references to death so nothing has changed for COB after all whats more metal then a good horror story so bottom line for song topics, partying, love, death, all things Children Of Bodom.

This CD is well produced, it has great vibes, a real bash your head / bob to your liking album. You can tell that they put work into the songs and for that I'm grateful. Now its up the the fans to decide! I consider it a great album and a progression from there last, well done boys!