Relentless Reckless Forever review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Mar 8, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Children of Bodom: Relentless Reckless Forever

Three years have passed since Blooddrunk, which I thought was pretty awesome, not their best album but a great album... Now, I've listened to Relentless Reckless Forever, and while it does have the unmistakable CoB guitar tone and overdriven bass, it lacks some strength in the sound of the drums and the vocal sound don't snap at you as aggresively as their previous efforts. The riffs aren't that bad, but some of them are a bit dumbed down, they could make it a lot better, and the guitar solos, despite being Alexi's trademark style, aren't just as good as the ones on "Blooddrunk" or "Are You Dead Yet?". The drum's blast beat in Shovel Knockout is just wrong, it's a resource that Children of Bodom shouldn't have used.

Pussyfoot Miss Suicide and Ugly are really poor lyrically, the rest of the album ranges from "meh.. to decent" but nothing in this album is a Bodom masterpiece. Vocally, while Alexi still sounds good, the vocals lack some punch, and the mixing of the vocals doesn't help the so-so singing and the disappointing lyrics.

Think of "Relentless Reckless Forever" as Children of Bodom's St. Anger, in the way that, while being a decent album, it doesn't match up to the quality of the band. Was it worth it? Was the song I liked the most, it's different from the classic CoB sound, but it's a cool song overall. I don't know if this album is going to grow on me if I give it a few more listens, but right now I am disappointed by this album.

shred_wizzard
    there were a few gems, but mostly it was average. then again, I hated blooddrunk at first and recently came to like that album.
    syl-rules04
    this album is perfect, alot of these reviews suck and it should not have an over all rating of 6 or 7. if you only like thier first 3 albums then stop bitching when they come out with a new album. everything theyve made is sick. relentless reckless forever is one of theyre best albums ever
    Deathrow_Saints
    blooddrunk *the song* was amazing and its all i liked of the album....at first then the more i listended to it the more i F***in' loved it. blooddrunk was catchy, metal, chorusy and downrite awesome. i havnt listened to this album alot yet but i know itl grow on me if im not immidietly blown away
    heart0fdarkness
    album was very dull, i understand bands need to evolve, but at least take it in a positive and interesting direction. The effort put into making this album was phenomenal, I will not deny that, however, their creativity is becoming stale and their riffs are, recycled from past albums? Also, Banned from Heaven, Round Trip to Hell and Back and Punch me I bleed sound all the same heavy slow down at the end. Make things more interesting! Thats what this album lacks.