Something Wild review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Apr 28, 1998
Children of Bodom: Something Wild

First of all I have to say I think it's sad that no one has reviewed this album, since it kicks ass! But I don't know mayde it's a bit rare n' unknown outside Finland? But anyway, back to the review. I think that COB's debyte is their most "Heaviest" album beside "Hate Crew Deathroll". It has less melodical elements than any of COB's albums and yes, you can tell by listening to it that it's their first album. But it's not a bad thing really, only that the sound quality is a little "flat". The music, as I said is pure heavy/death metal. I think this album features more guitars and less of those synths that are typical to the band.

The lyrics are mean! On the album Alexi Laiho sings about things like Hate and Death and Pain and other things typical to Death Metal. I like most lyrics on "Touch like angel of Death", they're cool. The lyrics are different compared to other Bodom albums (as is the whole record), but I really can't say are they for better or for worse -maybe a little both ways? I also noticed how different Alexi's voice sounds. Maybe it's just the sound quality of the whole album, but since Alexi is younger on this album, his voice is thinner, I think.

Comapring to other Bodom albums, there are both bad and good differences. It's like I like both kind of Bodom,but depending on my mood I choose wich kind I listen to. Good things are the Heavines and the a little odd but still kewl guitar riffs, and also that the album does not have so much synths. On the other hand bad things are the sound quality, that strange "amateur" sound, and that the album doesn't have enough of Guitar Solos, not that kind wich make Alexi Laiho the Idol in my eyes wich he is. Overall this album is far from perfect but very much over average. So? Go buy it if you want some true Death Metal! Rock on!