Something Wild review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Apr 28, 1998
Children of Bodom: Something Wild

This is a totally killer album. It's a completely fresh sound right out of Finland. It's extremely heavy, with an awesome mix of neo-classical melodies and solos. Never before has a band made me this excited since I got into metal. I was lucky to obtain the deluxe version of this album, which has 2 bonus songs and makes the album that much more amazing to listen to. Songs like "Red Light In My Eyes" (parts 1 and 2) are like black metal/thrash-style classical variations. A lot of bands or guitarists get frowned upon for sounding like others-especially in the neo-classical domain, but Bodom is completely original. Innovation is at an all-time high interms of music on this album. So if you love heavy music, and crazy technique as well (such as neo-classical shred), then you'll love this album. The keyboards also give it one of the greatest sounds of all, not just because of the solos, but in the accompanients as well. All in all, Children Of Bodom is one of the few bands out there that has every member doing their thing extremely well.

Alexi Laiho struck me as a horrible vocalist at first (before I got into black/death metal etc). However, with time, I realized that there could be no other style of vocals in this band that would work, mostly because Alexi's also the lead guitar player in the band! His lyrics are very chilling and he does some awesome screams here and there. His song-writing and arranging skills are extremely well developed, as are his lyrical composing talents. Alexi is one of the few individuals out there that knows exactly what he's doing through and through, and "Something Wild" showcases it very well.

This album is completely awesome: no filler what-so-ever. Children Of Bodom is my favourite band of all time, and this isn't even my favourite album by them! Every single song is mind-blowing on this album, it's just so full-sounding. However, my personal favourites are "Lake Bodom" (of course), "Red Light In My Eyes" (parts 1 and 2) and the epic "Touch Like The Angel Of Death". Plus, with the deluxe version, Bodom pulled out a couple of insane cover songs: "Silent Scream" (by Slayer) and "Don't Stop At The Top" (by The Scorpions). And they're really well-performed. One problem that most people have with this album is the length: it's about 32 minutes long without the bonus tracks, but the deluxe version helps that a lot. However, even so, you can't deny that this album is a gem and a half. If someone stole this album, I'd shine a red light in their eyes, and drown them in lake Bodom!

xtwistdchaos29x
    personally all of bodom's stuff is the shit!!! i like everything theyve ever done by far they are my favorite band but this is definitely one of their best albums and as AngleofDeaf666 said lake bodom kicks major ass
    Sixpounder
    Fuck i cannot find this cd, none of the music stores i go to have it. \m/Hate Crew\m/
    Shreddin 4 Life
    i know, it's difficult to find. perhaps you should take the time to order it from a site: u won't regret it!