Something Wild review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Apr 28, 1998
Children of Bodom: Something Wild

Something Wild would probably be the hardest CoB album to get into; The album features an amazingly wide array of styles, experimentation, complex song structures, not to say that the sound of this album isn't amazing because of that, the sound is very innovative, compelling, and fresh. The riffs, solos are very much classical inspired, there's lots of keyboard usage, there are keyboard solos, all of these aspects are very melodic and very well done, especially the Lake Bodom riff and the Red Light In My Eyes Pt.II keyboard solo. The drumming on this album is good, creative and kinda Black-Metallish, which fits the sound well, because this album has some Black Metal elements, and that is probably the reason people kept labeling CoB Black Metal. The bass and rhythm are also nicely done, and if they weren't well done the whole album would fail, as in this album they are vital to the irregular time changes, and very fast tempo. Overall, the sound is very immpressive, fresh, and it never gets boring.

First of all, themes, hate, anger, the lake bodom murders, simply murder, there's also despair and suicide. Alexi's Black Metal shriek is ever prevalent here, and it's the only kind of vocal style that would fit the sound of this album, I can't imagine it with clean vocals or deep growling, haha. The only official lyrics released are for Touch Like Angel Of Death, and they are preety good, although lame at times. I can't really tell you how good are the other lyrics since they were not officially released, but judging by TLAOD, they should be good. Overall, with Alexi's great (even though hard to comprehend) vocals and screams, and the good (not great) lyrics, this aspect gets an 8.

I was very immpressed with this album, there is absolutely nothing that can compare to its sound; the album is a very fresh breeze fo wind in the extreme metal land. And to think that a bunch of teenagers done that? It raises your hopes that you can do the same, heh. All of the members of hte band were in their teenage years, except Kuoppala who was around 20 I think. The best tracks would be Lake Bodom, Red Light in My Eyes Pt.II, and Touch Like Angel Of Death. I love everything in this album, beside the fact tha it's hard to get into at start and little published lyrics that make it hard or immpossible to cover a song from it with your band or something of that kind.

Triviumsucks666
    Shreddin 4 Life : I dunno, "Red Light In My Eyes" (parts 1 & 2) are pretty ****in' awesome too!
    i hate part 1