Something Wild review by Children of Bodom

• Released: Apr 28, 1998
Children of Bodom: Something Wild

This is the most recent album of COB that I've heard, and compared to newer records, especially AYDY, this album definitely has a much more neo-classical influenced sound: a number of tracks cover directly from classical pieces; for example, the intro from Red Light In My Eyes Pt. 1 is J.S. Bach's Invention 13. The album is full of melodic interludes and bridges that show off Alexi's amazing guitar skills, along with the superior ability of Janne Warman on keyboards. The album also showcases the drumming ability of Jaska Raatikainen. This album is different to any other COB record because the composition in this album is much more "free-flowing" than the others (for example, individual songs from FTR follow their own pattern and are honestly quite predicable, whereas songs on this album are much more progressive and can't be as easily forseeable).

Where to start with this? Well, Alexi's vocals do not modulate too much on this album; it is basically the same growly, throaty and fiendish vocals for the entire album, I like it, nice and simple. If you go on youtube and look for 'interpretations' for songs on this album, you will have a blast: the lyrics on this album are almost completely incomprehensible. And looking at the lyrics on various websites, they are quite different, following more of a story than a song. If you haven't listened to the songs before, you won't know how they fit in because there is a very complex rhythmic pattern associated with them. Overall, the lyrics definitely lend themselves very well to the music, but Alexi's writing ability on this album is not quite as mature as on later albums (which is completely understandable) and I'd say the lyrical content is average at best. However, as mentioned before, the lyrics lend themselves very appropriately to the subject matter of the music.

I know it seems kinda weird that I gave sound 9, lyrics 7 and overall impression 10, but when the instruments and the voice combine, this album becomes something different to listening to them separately. I really like this album, it is one of the few albums that I constantly listen too without getting bored. If I listened to this album and another of COB's albums and was told that they were by different artists, I would probably believe that: everything is completely different to COB's other works. I would certainly buy this album again (or download it, w/e). It's a really tough choice, but I'd say that my favourite songs from the album are Deadnight Warrior, In The Shadows and Lake Bodom. But really, the first 5 tracks are to die for, and I haven't properly listened to the last two to have professional opinion on them.

Detonation
    Omg i love this album well i love all of COB's stuff but if i HAD to pick a fav it would be this album cause u just dont hear non of this stuff anymore! The Nail is my fav song off of this album