Chimaira review by Chimaira

• Released: Aug 9, 2005
Chimaira: Chimaira

Chimaira's 3rd release is a wall of noise from start to finish. The crushing breakdowns, blazing guitar solos, amazing drumming and intense screams leave you playing the CD over and over again. They have progressed better and more than most other bands out there. Their music has only gotten more technical and more intense. There are few guitar duos around that could continuously write music so catchy but remain so brutal. I've held one opinion of Chimaira since I first saw them in concert and got their first CD autographed; they are the most under rated band in metal. To me, Chimaira is to metal today what Metallica was to metal in the "Master Of Puppets" era. There are few bands I'd rather see or listen to more than Chimaira. I could never get tired of any of their material.

The lyrics on this album did venture into more of a personal nature. Mark still has the same brutality to his vocal approach, but it never gets old. It is the perfect fit for the band. I especially enjoyed the lyrics on songs like "Comatose" and "Everything You Love". Not only is Mark a perfect fit for the band, he's one to take lessons from if you want to know how to be a metal vocalist.

This album shows how Chimaira has matured over the years since their first release. It still showcases the blast beat drumming and ridiculously heavy rhythm guitar. The solos on this CD set your ears on fire and the vocals are probably more penetrating than ever. I think the crafty breakdown of "Nothing Remains" gives every metal band out there something to think about when they record their next CD. My personal favorite track is "Comatose". There are few songs by anybody that are so relentless in attacking your senses. Almost non-stop machine gun drums, an amazing solo and an incredibly heavy breakdown set that song apart from the rest for me. The somewhat-epic "Bloodlust" is a crushing song from beginning to end. There is not a thing wrong with this CD. There is nothing to hate. I wouldn't lose this CD. It travels with me everywhere I go. If it should get stolen, I would go buy it wherever I could and then pummel the jerk that took it.

AA00P
    The Impossibility of Reason was a great disk. WIth absolutely killer tracks like 'Cleansation', 'The Impossibility of Reason', 'Power Trip', 'Down Again', 'Pure Hatred', and 'The Dehumanizing Process', it's great. But other tracks on the album, like 'Crawl', (and nearly every track beyond that point) is boring, really. Chimaira's self titled album not only ups the technicality, but also delivers the fury throughout the whole album.