Chimaira Review

Chimaira: Chimaira
Release Date: Aug 9, 2005
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal, Punk Revival
The band refused to write songs that fit any stylistic format, instead opting for a much more musically diverse approach, with guitar solos unlike anything on their previous records.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.2
 9.9
 8.5
Chimaira Reviewed by: chimairakid, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Chimaira are the new front of aggresive metal. They have brutaly haeavy guitars yet still encompass technically proficient guitar solos. Mark Hunter has the perfect throaty growl to accompany the music and the drumming on this album courtesy of Mr. Kevin Talley, is nothing short of amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are of a personal nature. They are harrowing ad dark and delivered in a way that makes them feel right. They fit the songs perfectly in every way and there are some really nifty vocal parts, especially in Nothing Remains, Save Ourselves and Everything You Love. Mark has an amazing voice and there is a much bigger contribution to the vocals from Chris Spiccuzza the keyborad player this time. // 9

Overall Impression: This is easily the best record from Chimaira to date. Some may argue it doesnt have the groove of Impossibiliy Of Reason, but I believe it actully has more groove. This is a must for all fans of Slayer, Pantera and Machine Head, and really heavy music in general. Check out Save Ourselves, Nothing Remains and Pray For All. I already have two copies, one signed by the band, and it is an amazing package with the bonus live disc included! Buy it now! // 10

Chimaira Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2006

Sound: Chimaira's 3rd release is a wall of noise from start to finish. The crushing breakdowns, blazing guitar solos, amazing drumming and intense screams leave you playing the CD over and over again. They have progressed better and more than most other bands out there. Their music has only gotten more technical and more intense. There are few guitar duos around that could continuously write music so catchy but remain so brutal. I've held one opinion of Chimaira since I first saw them in concert and got their first CD autographed; they are the most under rated band in metal. To me, Chimaira is to metal today what Metallica was to metal in the "Master Of Puppets" era. There are few bands I'd rather see or listen to more than Chimaira. I could never get tired of any of their material. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album did venture into more of a personal nature. Mark still has the same brutality to his vocal approach, but it never gets old. It is the perfect fit for the band. I especially enjoyed the lyrics on songs like "Comatose" and "Everything You Love". Not only is Mark a perfect fit for the band, he's one to take lessons from if you want to know how to be a metal vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: This album shows how Chimaira has matured over the years since their first release. It still showcases the blast beat drumming and ridiculously heavy rhythm guitar. The solos on this CD set your ears on fire and the vocals are probably more penetrating than ever. I think the crafty breakdown of "Nothing Remains" gives every metal band out there something to think about when they record their next CD. My personal favorite track is "Comatose". There are few songs by anybody that are so relentless in attacking your senses. Almost non-stop machine gun drums, an amazing solo and an incredibly heavy breakdown set that song apart from the rest for me. The somewhat-epic "Bloodlust" is a crushing song from beginning to end. There is not a thing wrong with this CD. There is nothing to hate. I wouldn't lose this CD. It travels with me everywhere I go. If it should get stolen, I would go buy it wherever I could and then pummel the jerk that took it. // 10

Comments