Resurrection review by Chimaira

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
Chimaira: Resurrection

Anger was probably an essential emotion that drove the making of the latest Chimaira record, particularly considering this was the first release since being dropped from Roadrunner Records back in 2006. Resurrection has a lot going for it aside from the passion, with guitarist Rob Arnold supplying some incredible riffs along the way. While it never breaks that much new ground in the general metal scene, the band has still succeeded in adding in some unusual styles into their songs. The CD starts out with the perfect song in terms of re-introducing itself as a band post-Roadrunner. Resurrection is pretty straightforward in it's delivery, but it still features a cool song structure. The intro effectively builds in intensity, and later on brief, manic guitar solo sections from Arnold are thrown in at various times. Considering this album follows a fairly dark period of the band, the song does relay that the band has recovered musically unscathed. One of the most intriguing tracks on Resurrection is Six, which starts off with an almost mystical-sounding intro. You can hear hushed, enigmatic vocals in the beginning, with a touch of Middle-Eastern music backing it up. Several different turns are taken in the course of Six, but it continues to come back to a pure melodic line much of the time. It's cool to hear the band balance out the metal with something more stripped down, and if nothing else, it proves the band has a lot to offer under the distortion and double bass pedal. There are moments on the CD when the band does get stuck in the same place. Worthless is a bit monotonous at times and doesn't quite match up to the creativity heard in Resurrection and Six. That is, however, until you get to Arnold's solo, which is every bit as strong as his other work. This is the first album that Arnold didn't write most of the songs, but it's good to hear that his influence is still ever-present in the solo work. The gruff vocals will undoubtedly annoy some people, but vocalist Mark Hunter does experiment with some other vocal styles along the way. While some have said the new record is a completely different turn Chimaira, the band is still staying true to its sound and should please its dedicated fans.

It's not always easy to make out all of the lyrics, which may be a problem for some listeners. But once you get past the inaudible aspect of the songs, there are some cool lyrics behind it all. The title song is undoubtedly influenced by the band's tough times, and you can hear the passion come through Hunter's vocals. He sings, Free at last; Finally tasting happiness; Five years of hell for nothing; Trapped inside minds of failures. The fact that Resurrection seems to be speaking to the Roadrunner label (Chimaira was at Roadrunner for 5 years) makes the song all the more biting. It's great to hear a band get that kind of aggression out after being dropped from a label. Quite a few songs deal with anger and frustration, which is probably understandable considering what the band went through before recording Resurrection. However, there are those who will undoubtedly find these themes a bit cliche (Black Heart, End It All).

For fans looking to get the most Chimaira music that they can, there are 2 versions of Resurrection out there for the taking. The regular CD will include 11 tracks, while the bonus edition will also include 2 bonus songs (Kingdom Of Heartache and Paralyzed), as well as a DVD showing the making of the album. We didn't receive the DVD version, but that is probably the one to go for, if only to get more insight into the mood that was present while making Resurrection. On the record the band is at its strongest with a song like Killing The Beast, which never needs to go insanely fast to make a chilling impression. It's kind of a creepy song -- in a good way. Songs like that give listeners the chance to see the band is not just rehashing roaring vocals and lightening-fast tempos song after song. The fact that the band is able to introduce interesting chord changes and even the Middle-Eastern musical touch really shows Chimaira is thinking outside the box. There are more than a few standout tracks on the record, and it's likely that Roadrunner might be reconsidering their decision to drop the band.

deadstorm
    Pretty good album.. But not the best in my opignion.. Killing the Beast and Empire are probly my favorite songs on the album!
    Gregoric
    i think the flame is my favourite song, just love the lyrics 'I will make you FUCKING BLEED!!'
    marcus00
    P.S. I think this album deserves a much higher rating. Solid from the first second to the very end. I think it's a great follow up to their self-titled album. The guitar work really stands out (for me anyway). A lot more solos than I expected.
    Futilaty
    To me Pleasure and Pain, Worthless, No Reason to Live, The Flame, End It All, Black Heart, Needle, and Empire are the BEST... the whole cd kicks ass... /m/ X_x /m/
    Futilaty
    Futilaty wrote: To me Pleasure and Pain, Worthless, No Reason to Live, The Flame, End It All, Black Heart, Needle, and Empire are the BEST... And Six n Resurrection.... the whole cd kicks ass... /m/ X_x /m/
    Nidaros
    Wasn't your dad friends with the guitar player? :/
    Nidaros
    P.S. Great record, Chimaira's best record to date in my opinion. I really like Killing the Beast, very dark and looming. Go buy!
    sbass12
    i've never heard of these guys, maybe i should look into them a little.
    br4vw
    mrs. jimmy page
    Nidaros wrote: mrs. jimmy page wrote: omg!!!!! i love chimaira!!!! my dad is absolutely great friends with the drummer (Andy) and i personally no the guyz in the band! they live by me. they absolutely rock. there gonna sho me how to play sum of their songs, so as soon as i learn sum of the songs, i post on here. anyway..... AWESUM ALBUM! Wasn't your dad friends with the guitar player? :/ mrs. jimmy page wrote: i no the guyz in chimaira. there pretty cool. my dads friends with the guitar player.
    my dad is friends with both but he is better friends with the drummer... he became better friends with the guitar player later and now hez good friends with the lead singer.
    mrs. jimmy page
    marcus00 wrote: mrs. jimmy page : omg!!!!! i love chimaira!!!! my dad is absolutely great friends with the drummer (Andy) and i personally no the guyz in the band! they live by me. they absolutely rock. there gonna sho me how to play sum of their songs, so as soon as i learn sum of the songs, i post on here. anyway..... AWESUM ALBUM! You better put a lot of your eggs in this basket because based on your grammar and spelling, you don't seem to have a lot more to look forward to in life. Do yourself a favor. Quit sucking up to the band and bragging about your connects. Go to school, read a book or two and work on getting a G.E.D. at the very least.
    first off all becuz i have bad grammar and spelling on here doesnt mean i talk like that in real life. and i'm not sucking up to the band. i no them ( just like u wish u did) i'm just saying that they're gonna teach me sum songs so i can post them on here, but i guess i'm just "sucking up" so i guess theres no reason for me to do that now. and i'm sorry... whats your grade point average again? i plan on going to college! and what are your goals? yeah... i dont think working at mcdonalds is gonna pull it off...
    mrs. jimmy page
    br4vw wrote: mrs. jimmy page wrote: omg!!!!! i love chimaira!!!! my dad is absolutely great friends with the drummer (Andy) and i personally no the guyz in the band! they live by me. they absolutely rock. there gonna sho me how to play sum of their songs, so as soon as i learn sum of the songs, i post on here. anyway..... AWESUM ALBUM! nobody cares about that - whats your thoughts on the album? enough of this omg shit
    did i not say "AWSUM ALBUM" at the end? cuz thats exactly what it is. 5 stars.
    AnEvilWalrus
    Awesome cd, it's a little different from their old stuff, but that's not necissarily a bad thing. The best song on here would have to be Empire, for sure. Rock on guys
    A7XDeathbatGNR
    I have been a Chimaira fan since The Impossibility of Reason. I love how they put a darker feel on this album. They gave Chris Spicuzza (the electronics guy) a bigger role on this album, which contributes to its darker feel.
    no/mas/control
    This album was awsome they really showed different styles and techniques it give it 8.5 the best song on the album was six
    spencer Cr
    the flame has the coolest intro, broken glass a girl screams. it deffinatly tell you the story right off the bat
    marcus00
    slayersaves22
    fuk i hope its good i hope it isnt another pass out of existence, plz be impossibily of reason two
    Amito
    it's not bad, prefered their last two albums but this one is still good
    drykilltrivhead
    Dang, I can not wait to get my hands on this c.d. I have all of their other c.d.'s and I even have their first demo c.d. "This Present Darkness" Love these guys and cant wait to get my copy.
    I_Forgot_My_Pen
    It's a really good album. Track 3 is the only one that bugged me out. Seeing them next mnday with killswitch and dragonforce
    Quantonyne
    i had this about a month ago and i liked what i had heard, i think i might dust it off and listen to it again.
    skindred
    the dude didnt mention the flame, that song owns the whole album. i preffered impossibility and self titled though, its a step down for them which is hard for me to say since they're my fav band
    no mercy
    definetly one of my favorite bands. I picked up "Pass out of Existence" a couple of years ago and have been uder the influence ever since!
    69.so.fine
    Did... we just get punk'd?
    ZeRoGuY
    the more i listen to it the better it gets. and after watching the documentary i like it even more!
    nirvanafan11111
    tis a great album, although for the record they werent dropped they left roadrunner!! And have no grudge towards roadrunner as is shown in the massive thankyou they give them at the start!!!
    flesh fries
    saw them play some of this live...didnt like what i heard, and i got the cd hoping id made a misjudgment...i was wrong...the self titled cd blows this and all the other cds out of the water
    chimairakid
    can i just point out, that you dont really mention the fact that rob is lead guitarist not just guitarist. also Resurrection the song, has only one solo, not "solo sections". And roadrunner never dropped the band. the band asked to be released from their contract. this is a pretty poor review.
    JasonShredder
    Aggressive and powerful. Same ol' dark mechanical riffs.....a few experimental areas(cool stuff). I like it, but do prefer Roadrunner albums over this. It seems like they took a step down. I dont know the circumstances, but what could possibally make your band leave Roadrunner??? I pick up thier records just cause of their rep. And they dont let me down by signing crap. One of the biggest names and best reputations in the business. Ah well, good luck to Chimaira with Ferret. Horns up!!
    xtreme450
    I was actually wondering today when this album came out. I am definitely gonna need to pick this one up. Does anyone else think the album art looks like the Licker from Resident Evil?
    Malignant.
    you keep saying they were dropped from RoadRunner bu they werent... Chimaira hated being on the label after they finished recording s/t because they got no promotion out of it and they were treated like crap by the label because they had bigger bands to focus on like fag bands Trivium and Dragonforce. They asked to be let out of their contract and RR didnt hesitate. Good review mostly... Although some things I dont agree on.
    postmortem2006