Resurrection review by Chimaira

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
Chimaira: Resurrection

Chimaira have a great thrashy sound which is gaurenteed to get you moving. I havn't come across anything quite like this before. It's a very well done album sound wise, guitars, drums and bass all sound great. It's a good mix between their past albums, it has the more mellow side from immpossibility of reason and the more sinester side from chimaira. Another good thing about this album is that all the songs on it are relativly easy to play and this goes for all chimaira. 01. Resurrection - this is the most thrashy song on the album, and gets you hyped the first time you here it. Awesome riffs running throughout the whole thing and a catchy chorus make this one a winner. 02. Pleasure In Pain - nice and simple song, I like how the guitars follow the vocals and how the double kicks just keep comming. This is what to expect on the album, if you're planning on downloading a song and then deciding wether to buy the album or not this is probably the one to judge it on. 03. Worthless - probably me least favourite song on the album, it's very repetitive and the death metal vocals at the end just do not suit the song. 04. Six - best song on the album hands down! This is a song that approaches the 10 minute mark. The whole song just comes together so well and the intro sets the perfect mood for the rest of it. There's an awesome 3 minute instrumental part in the middle of the song which is what makes this a shining light among the rest. 05. No Reason To Live - this song has a great buildup and you just know it's going to be intense. The strange sounding guitar, then the double kicks, then one guitar, then two guitars. The chorus of this song is one of the most memerable on the album. 06. Killing The Beast - this song isn't great, it's a little to bare although there's a good outro to it. The song is just to raw for my liking and it dosn't really fit the rest of the album. 07. The Flame - overused guitar riffs throughout the first half of the song, although the second half is awesome and the end of the solo has a great transition back into the song. 08. End It All - good second half again, the first half is just not that special. There's a nice solo in this song. And a new vocal style for chimaira for a few seconds closer to the end. 09. Black Heart - this song just dosn't do it for me, I like the intro but the song just loses me after it has passed. 10. Needle - awesome riff! Far to overused but still awesome none the less. This song would be one of the best on the album if it wasn't so repetitive. 11. Empire - nice ending to the album, really good intro, maybe a little to long though. Keyboards are used to their full potentials in this song and it's really what makes the song an ending to the album.

The lyrics on this album are average the highlight probably being on 'no reason to live'. The singing on this album is great though and you see a more polished side of chimaira with clean singing and some harmonized vocals in different points. I'd say the best song on the album vocal wise would be 'no reason to live' it's just a great song and the vocals fit it really well.

The album is a step in a different direction for chimaira, which hasn't really worked in my opinion. I still miss the IOR sound. The best songs on the album are Six, Resurrection and No Reason To Live. I think this album has a few totally awesome tracks if only it was more consistant it would be far better. I find the songs have great startings or endings but they don't seem to keep you wanting to listen to the whole song. A good example of this is the song Needle after you hear the intro riff you've basiclly heard the whole song and sure it's a great riff although just hearing that for 3 minutes isn't that great. This album definatly has it's highs and lows, but overall it is a good album. If it were lost or stolen I would buy another copy.

Kornjack
    JasonShredder : Aggressive and powerful. Same ol' dark mechanical riffs.....a few experimental areas(cool stuff). I like it, but do prefer Roadrunner albums over this. It seems like they took a step down. I dont know the circumstances, but what could possibally make your band leave Roadrunner??? I pick up thier records just cause of their rep. And they dont let me down by signing crap. One of the biggest names and best reputations in the business. Ah well, good luck to Chimaira with Ferret. Horns up!!
    roadrunner didnt promote them for shit thats the reason they left, and their going so much better now